Cheap LED solution???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ordered 2 10w 6400-7000k led flood lights from eBay. Will these be a good fit for my freshwater tank? I have some wisteria and java moss but would like to add more plants for my goldfish.

The tank I have is a 38 gallon. The tank dimensions are in my profile. I plan to just place the lights on the glass top facing down. Will this be ok?

ryukins said:
I ordered 2 10w 6400-7000k led flood lights from eBay. Will these be a good fit for my freshwater tank? I have some wisteria and java moss but would like to add more plants for my goldfish.

The tank I have is a 38 gallon. The tank dimensions are in my profile. I plan to just place the lights on the glass top facing down. Will this be ok?

Yea those are the ones I would have picked for your setup. It's fine to place them on the glass, just have to keep the glass clean. You could also use egg crate as a top and sit them on there, thats what i originally did, and its cheap. If you did raise them slightly they do spread out better and have more of a flicker.

Interested to see how they work on FW plants, be sure to post up some pics and keep us updated.

I got the lights yesterday and have them running now in my tank. One is not as white as the other and I sent a message to the seller. I hope he will send a replacement. Here are some pics

Attachments

• image-886989347.jpg
    image-886989347.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 335
  • image-1989246259.jpg
    image-1989246259.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 273
I ordered 2 10w 6400-7000k led flood lights from eBay. Will these be a good fit for my freshwater tank?

Can you provide a link? I'm finding floods on ebay from $9.00 on up. The most common is USA sellers in the $16-$20 range.

thanks.

Just received two 20w 14000k led floodlights and they look great on my 72g bow front. They have a great flicker and a really nice blueish light that looks like a MH, it's hard to see the blue in the pics below. I only have a few corals and will keep a note on how they react to these LEDs, only cost me $100!
Well,thanks for your info.

I think I'm gonna sell my 50 gallon to pay for some nice led upgrades I posted it on kijiji

great thread, i look forward to following your progress, i think for the time being i am going to order a 10w 6500k for my 20high planted tank and then when i do the switch over to salt i can use it in my sump.

Sorry for the delay! The corals are still growing with better color and no problems!

My 55g is now cycling and I've just turned the red LEDs on for the first time, I'll take a pic of the turf each week (I hope the red works!).

The app isn't letting me post pics on my iphone right now (not sure why) but I'll get some progress pics up here soon.

Bschowa said:
great thread, i look forward to following your progress, i think for the time being i am going to order a 10w 6500k for my 20high planted tank and then when i do the switch over to salt i can use it in my sump.

Thanks, yea it works great in my sump.

FTMMWS said:
Yeah ,i think a few people do,but he has the reds on his scrubber screen and thats what i want to know:)

I'll be sure to let you know, just plugged the reds in for the first time, going to try 18hrs on per day at first. I'll post weekly pics of the growth (or lack of, we'll see!).

Marquis said:
i wanna know how the coral is growing

No complaints, great growth, great color... now I'm cycling my 55 I'll be getting various frags (once cycles complete) and will post pics on there growth.

ryukins said:
I got the lights yesterday and have them running now in my tank. One is not as white as the other and I sent a message to the seller. I hope he will send a replacement. Here are some pics

Looks great, how have you found them for your FW setup?

Hey Tom what's the depth on your tank.

Mine is 30", do you think the 20w with have enough power to penetrate that deep.

Also, how many do you think I'll need for the following dimensions,

8ft long 42" wide front section
7 ft long 36" wide side section

Total 800 gallons

I ordered a bunch of led stuff but got destroyed in shipping.

Have you tried the 50 w?

Back
Top Bottom