Cheap LED solution???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
img_2450230_0_64ce6cbd6f583085ea01de368fbeb38f.jpg

img_2450262_0_ee8a3f6a666bd1b7202e2663cd675d86.jpg

PROJECT NAME: GU10 LED SETUP
this is another project i am working. i need your opinion & suggestion on this project as well.
i got a hold of the led manufacture and they decided to make me the led's gu10 bulb of which ever spec i want so. i need to find out from you guys if this setup is fine and also do you guys think i should add some uv lights and red/green. just like rapidled.com

Each bulb has 4x1 watt led with 2 coolwhite and 2 royal blue to give 1:1 ratio

i am trying to copy rapidled.com for 75gallon tank kit.
rapidled pecs are
18 Cool White
20 Royal Blue
6 Violet UV LEDs
2 Red
2 Green

rapidled kit cost $450, & my project should be completed in under $200 (GU10 led project)

Hey raheel, the flood project looks great. give us an update once you got it all together.

On the other project - who's the manufacturer and can you PM me the details? I'm thinking of doing a DIY myself and this might fit the bill.

Raheel just one more thought on this - one thing about LEDs is the narrow spectrum range they have (unlike other lights) so you might want to supplement your blues with a few of the reds, cyan, green, pink, UV and IR. I found the white LEDs to be quite intense vs blues and can tend to wash out the colors that florescent corals give out, from what I've seen visiting other people's tanks. Tanks with lesser white LEDs and supplemented by other non-blue LEDs tend to bring out more colors in their corals. This makes sense since well, colors we see are what the object does not absorb right.

Bright whites are for our eyes, not for the corals, so in place of some of the whites I'd put in the non-blues. Those are my thoughts thus far on LED light projects I've been thinking of anyways.

thanks for your suggestion on GU10 led project Bayinaung. if you can tell me which one i should replace to uv, green, red etc, so i can order all at the same time.
thats another reason i wanted to go with gu10 led cause the cool white & blue spec are exact same as it use in most high end led's for reef light. and i can replace bulb easily without any soldering.

So my thinking is, I gotta have the spectrums that corals need, and for my eyes.
Corals want the blue & violet which is the 400nm range: 400-500, and to a less extent red - 600-700 (some SPS responds well to this). Then I'd look at the spectrum analysis for the white LED you are using, and supplement the color ranges of the corals you want to have: is it green, cyan, orange, pink, yellow? then I'd go get those colors in there as supplements.

In supplements I'd take out the whites and add two of the additional colors you want to enhance in your tank, i.e. green, yellow, etc.

from what I can see you have 26 lights.
so I'd go with 6 blue and 5 royal blues, 2 violets (for the lower end of the 400 spectrum; some apparently falsely call it UV its not). In my thinking the violets are the lower end of the "blues" that corals absorb.

From 13 whiltes, I'd replace the followings:
2 violets (this means 4 violets in total)
2 reds
2 greens/cyan
7 cool whites/12k/20k

The one thing to note is that in that study I posted, they found that higher irradiance increases color in the corals, and higher growth as well (with good flow, and adequate nutrition for the growth). so you want to have as much light as possible.

I think 420-425nm is probably a good spectrum to aim for with the violet lights. That way, with the light fall off, you'll have 400-420 covered. Your blues and royal blues will cover the 445-465nm. I can see lots of violet and ultraviolets that have peak spectrum rated anywhere from 400-425 and up.

"ultra" violet is officially below 400nm.

its been 2 weeks since i added 2 flood light on my MH fixture and i see some growth & my corals are loving the color

None of those extra colors are necessary. violet, red, green, cyan....all are unnecessary to coral growth and coloration.

Hey ive read this whole thread. i have a 120g fish only saltwarer. No corals. All i was looking for were some lights to give bright intense shimmer like Metal halides do. My tank dimensions are 60x18x28 high. I ordered 2x 30w 20k led flood lights. I have a center brace.

I have them laying directly on glass canopy and not much heat is being produced or transfered. Pretty cool on the glass side. I think the light is enough to light my tank especially fish only. Is it intense? NO!. Is it replacing 250MH No. Would they grow a sps 28" down i doubt it.

But that doesnt mean they are bad at all. They are perfect for someone who doesnt want to change bulbs be it t5 or MH. They illuminate well and fish like chromis pop well under the blue hue of 20k.

I called ebay seller and he's awesome. He said that because of my tall tank and extra foot long i should upgrade and allowed me to send my 2 30w back. He sent outs 2x 50w and 12k. Prior experience tells me that a 6500k-10k-12k will be brighter then same powered 20k or blue light. So we bumped down to 12k increased wattage to 50w and also threw in 2x 30w actinics to make up for lost blues in the 20k-12k drop.

Im super psyched because the tank looks like it has dual t5ho with shimmer now. With extra leds and extra wattage and brighter kelvin i believe it should be much better. But ill know for sure tomorrow and will get back to everyone.

None of those extra colors are necessary. violet, red, green, cyan....all are unnecessary to coral growth and coloration.

I agree on the red and green but violet or UV does do s bit to SPS. Although you might not find the true 395nm UV LED diodes yourself, violet led does give a little bit more on the UV side of the spectrum which bring out the color pigment of SPS

It's my personal experience. I bought frags from local guys who have those colors. my tank's LEDs don't have them (My LEDs got blue, royal blue, 6k white, and reds), and I am not getting the same colors on my zoas that were there in their tanks. They had cyan yellow and even pink LEDs as well to help with coloration.

So, I am going to add those and replicate for my DIY.

hey Oyf, you might want to read an article on light response and SPS corals. Some species responded well to the red spectrum.

This is one reason I am thinking of going to MH lighting. It's full spectrum.

Again, I don't use any of those colors and my corals are as colorful as the next. Plus, I'll re-post a study done stating that true ultraviolet light did nothing to enhance coral growth or coloration....as soon as I get to my pc.

so mr_x do u think my setup which contains 2x175watts metal halide with 2x10 led flood light will be a good setup.(i posted the picture of my fixture)

I think if you got MH then most of your spectrum needs are covered including UV because MH IS full spectrum. And LEDs do not come close to the intensity that MH achieves, according to a recent EPA study. That combo should be fine. I'm leaning towards MH if I got a lot of headroom. If not, then LED. energy consumption is not a concern for me at this point. Coral coloration and growth are.

Oh, here's a really good well-researched paper on light spectrums that corals absorb. It gives pretty good explanation as to what spectrums corals absorb and why. The good news here is that since 2012, better violet (400-450nm) LEDs are out, as per the article.

It discusses violet and blue (NOT UV, because its' 400+) and red - which is the most preferred spectrum for plants, not corals, with the exception of shallow water corals whose algae uses this.

Feature Article: Light in the Reef Aquaria — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

hey Oyf, you might want to read an article on light response and SPS corals. Some species responded well to the red spectrum.

This is one reason I am thinking of going to MH lighting. It's full spectrum.

Can you post a link to any official link about red spectrum help coral color?I know they will help coral growth in a minimum way. Unless you can pull out an article saying the red improves the actual coloration of coral I can't say yes or no on that.
AQ Spring Co Ltd

Ppl choose MH is mainly because the extra spike in UV not red

EDIT: well did't saw your last post, I will read that first
EDIT again: So I read the article, but I see most of the list are spike in the 400 to 500nm range anyways which means they all weight heavily in the violet to royal blue thanks for the article tho, great read

Back
Top Bottom