Cheap LED solution???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a 10W 6500K LED flood light from eBay a year or so ago that has been awesome in my refugium...

So I am considering lighting my reef tank with LED flood lights. It's only low light corals in this tank (72g bow), and I'm sure it has to be better than my PCs!

I was thinking of having X2 20W 12000K LED flood lights with X2 10W 450nm LED floodlights to compliment. Do you think this is enough light (with my 10W over the tank it lights up one side of the tank brighter than my PC coralife fixture).

All these flood lights are between $30-$100 on eBay (search led flood light)

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3810554216.jpg
    image-3810554216.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,493
Just received two 20w 14000k led floodlights and they look great on my 72g bow front. They have a great flicker and a really nice blueish light that looks like a MH, it's hard to see the blue in the pics below. I only have a few corals and will keep a note on how they react to these LEDs, only cost me $100!

Attachments

• image-4252617458.jpg
    image-4252617458.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3,338
  • image-1093287347.jpg
    image-1093287347.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,883
Very nice, I'm curious to see how these work out for you in the long run. I just set up a 75g freshwater but would be curious to see how these would work on a planted tank. 6500k is the perfect temp for a planted tank... hmmm.. Might be trying them out.

meegosh said:
Very nice, I'm curious to see how these work out for you in the long run. I just set up a 75g freshwater but would be curious to see how these would work on a planted tank. 6500k is the perfect temp for a planted tank... hmmm.. Might be trying them out.

I have a 10w 6500k in my sump, here's a pic, the color looks nice...

Attachments

• image-223043241.jpg
    image-223043241.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,181
Just a quick follow up, I've had these lights running for over a month now and absolutely love them! All my corals are growing and much more colorful. I'm now considering getting a 3rd one! Can't beat cheap!

Glad to hear they are still working out for you. Being that they are LED's, do they get warm at all? I'm debating about building a canopy for my 4' 2 bulb fixture but was thinking about this thread and maybe doing 3 of these over the 4' tank.

meegosh said:
Glad to hear they are still working out for you. Being that they are LED's, do they get warm at all? I'm debating about building a canopy for my 4' 2 bulb fixture but was thinking about this thread and maybe doing 3 of these over the 4' tank.

They hardly produce any heat, they are warm to the touch but nothing compared to the regular lights. I have just the two over my 4' tank and the spread is just enough to cover the whole tank, I would like to get one more. I am planning on building a canopy next week to house them now I've been "sold" on the idea of LED floodlights. Just be sure to check the (K) color of the light when you buy them. I would advise on getting these.

Thanks for the info, I'm in process of a 125g reef tank build. I have truelumen coral pro lights in my hex now. I love them but total cost was $450 to light a 24" spot. Please keep us updated on yours

This is awesome Tom, Is there anything else covering the tank or just the diffuser? Do you have a ton of evaporation issues? Also would you mind sharing what brand you bought?

What would be a good K rating for a fresh water tank?? I would go for more of a white light. I am thinking one of these in my tank to try out. Why not

ClamSnorkler said:
Thanks for the info, I'm in process of a 125g reef tank build. I have truelumen coral pro lights in my hex now. I love them but total cost was $450 to light a 24" spot. Please keep us updated on yours
I'll keep posting every month or so on the progress, I have a birdsnest SPS coral in there that's been growing great. I may invest in a par meter so I can really see how much light they produce.

Jmedic25 said:
This is awesome Tom, Is there anything else covering the tank or just the diffuser? Do you have a ton of evaporation issues? Also would you mind sharing what brand you bought?

Thanks, I just have the diffuser (aka egg crate, bought at Home Depot for $12) covering the tank. It's purely there just do I can place the lights on top. Once I build my DIY canopy for the LED floodlights will probably take it off. I usually keep my tanks topless because I like to get maximum gas exchange. This tank (72G + 30G sump) does evaporate over a gallon per day, but I don't mind filling up the ATO (auto top off) every few days. I just see that as the cost of getting better gas exchange.

By brand are you referring to the LEDs? If so, they seem to be brand-less! If you search "LED floodlight" on eBay you will see hundreds of these gray or black painted metal floodlights, they all appear to be the same "brand". On my DT (display tank) I found some 20W 12000K lights, on my sump I have a 10W 6500K light that has been promoting the growth of my macro algae. All round I am very pleased and surprised with the results, I'm sure an $800 LED light fixture is superior but this seems to do the job for far cheaper, how will do in the long run? All looks good so far.

didysis said:
10W High Powered LED Wall Flood Wash Light Lamp Bulb Waterproof Floodlight | eBay

This is what I saw that looked good, if you dont know the IP65 rating here is the info

6 means-Totally protected against dust
5 means- Protected against low pressure jets if water from all directions - limited ingress permitted

This is the exact 10W 6500K LED floodlight that I have in my sump, this is what I would recommend for freshwater (or SW sump installation). I would say in FW a 10W is probably bright enough for up to 18" (height) tanks (max) for larger tanks you may want to up it to 20W+.

With a 10W I would recommend one per foot of your tanks length.

If anybody else tries these floodlights please post your photos and experiences to this thread so we can see your outcomes.

They are the right color spectrum and seem to be powerful enough. Interesting! I just built a canopy and bought an LED light strip for my 10g ($160). Wondering now if I could've got away with a small one of these lol.

How's the light spread? I'm wondering if they could be modified to spread out light further.

So 125 gallons means lots and lots of light, I know its odd I still want a larger tank LOL, I might have to get one or two and try them.

This is the exact 10W 6500K LED floodlight that I have in my sump, this is what I would recommend for freshwater (or SW sump installation). I would say in FW a 10W is probably bright enough for up to 18" (height) tanks (max) for larger tanks you may want to up it to 20W+.

With a 10W I would recommend one per foot of your tanks length.

scottayy said:
They are the right color spectrum and seem to be powerful enough. Interesting! I just built a canopy and bought an LED light strip for my 10g ($160). Wondering now if I could've got away with a small one of these lol.

How's the light spread? I'm wondering if they could be modified to spread out light further.

The light spread is pretty good, the 25W is much better than the 10W in that regards as it has a larger reflector. You can unscrew them and take the LED out of the case, although I haven't attempted it, I'm sure it's possible to modify them.

didysis said:
So 125 gallons means lots and lots of light, I know its odd I still want a larger tank LOL, I might have to get one or two and try them.

For a 125 I would get 3, possibly 4 25W fixtures. As I mentioned above the 10W fixture doesn't have as much spread as the 25W, so you would need quite a few if you wanted the 10s on a 6' tank.

Just by judging that I have 2 over my 4' tank and would like to add 1 more (125 being 6').

Back
Top Bottom