Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take a look at my thread here...I just went to a lighting seminar recently and got some good info

A peek into the future of LED lighting technology

As for the cost, they actually cost less in the long run, because your fixture will not need to be touched for 5-10 year. LED bulbs to not "burn out", what happens is that they lose their luminosity over time, but it's a long time, and by the time you need to replace them, they're probably last even longer. So $800 now will save you $$ over bulb/ballast replacement no matter what fixture you're comparing it to.

A word of caution about 'overseas' makers of LED: don't use them until they have been thoroughly tested. We don't want a repeat of what happened with T8s in the 90s and make everyone say LED is no good because of some cheap manufacturer cutting corners.

Stick to Cree or Phillips for now.

My tanks: 120 Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber, 60 Reef Pond w/floating Algae Scrubber, 40 Breeder Reef w/L2 UAS Tester Algae Scrubber
I maintain: 144 SW Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber | 200 SW Reef w/L4 Algae Scrubber
Special knowledge: Algae Scrubbers, Acrylic Fabrication
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Hmmmm....55x3=165 not 225. I'm not sure where the changing MH bulbs every 6 months comes from. Sanjay did a ton of tests on MH bulbs and after 18 months you only lose aprox 20% of the bulbs output. I'm talking name brand bulbs, not cheapo Ebay bulbs. The biggest change in the bulbs after that amount of time is the color starts to shift more towards the red spectrum.

How did you come up with my system costing $1,500 when the start up cost, including bulbs, is $288? The reflectors and ballasts last forever and even if I changed bulbs every 12 months it's only $165/yr in bulbs. In 6 yrs I still wouldn't have spent $1,500.

I did say LED's will be the way to go for lighting when the prices drop more. I also said if you currently have a lighting system, like I do, it's hard to justify their cost.
I was counting replaceing the Vho's too.

mdaniel2882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 120 build coming up and I and still trying to decide which lighting route to go, and at this point, I'm leaning towards LED, but I still need more research. Can anyone point me toward some good articles that could help me decide?
Apollo1K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Feature Article: Quantitative Comparison of Reef Aquarium Lighting Technologies: Metal Halide, T5 Fluorescent and LED | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Here's my $.02

LEDs are so new to our hobby that nobody really knows what it is going to take to support our systems. On another site a guy build a diy LED system for his 75g tank using 48 LEDs (1watt crees 24 white and 24 blue). After a year his system is growing better and looks more intense than it did before. Some people say you need tons of LEDs to light a reef because they wont give the spread and penetration MH, T5HO or VHO give, others say you need a ton because of spot-lighting. Personally I don't think enough time has passed yet with people growing corals under varying LED light to determine with any certainty what we really need. You can put together spectrum charts and spread analysis diagrams and scientifically come up with the magic number "X" of how many LEDs it will take to light a tank, but really all that is based on information we gathered from using MH, T5HO, VHO and other forms of light. LEDs are different.

Time will tell what works and what doesn't. The reason I have gone to LEDs is to save power, reduce heat, and reduce maintenance on my lighting system. The LED system I put over my 54g corner reef will be simple and to some WAY under what I should have to light the tank. Like the guy with the 75g tank I'm going to do this and see what happens.

Personally I want to have a lighting system that I can run off-grid if the power goes out or I want to just go green. Can't do that as easily with MH and the other lighting options.

Like I said, just my $.02
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I also worked doing purchasing for a company that made informational LED signs as well as LCD signs for airports, highways, Hotel Lobbies etc. One older LED sign we put in the White House is still going strong after 9 years of constant use. I don't know what it does however, as they won't tell us.

LED reliability and longevity is proven. You can also buy kits and/or lights and transformers direct from China fairly cheaply. 95% of the bulbs sold by any other company are made there anyway.

1-55 Gal-4 Colomesus asellus, 2 C. shufeldtii
2-10 Gal-20 M. dayanum, Planorbarius corneus
1-6 Gal-4 Clea helena, 125 Red Neocaridina heteropoda
5 Gal-28 Halocaridina Rubra, 4 Neritina reclivata
MacMyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com