Cheap light for 10g Frag tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
120w LED from eBay might be a little much for the 10 gallon but it will definitely do the job. I know from personal experience that these particular xen-lux fixtures are great lights for corals of all types, and for the price, cannot be beat. Plus they can be used later if you decide to get a bigger frag tank, etc. Only bad things with this particular light is there is only 1 powercord for the blue and white lights, also no dimmer. Plenty of cheap lights on eBay, but I don't know anything about them.

Last edited:
120w LED from eBay might be a little much for the 10 gallon but it will definitely do the job. I know from personal experience that these particular xen-lux fixtures are great lights for corals of all types, and for the price, cannot be beat. Plus they can be used later if you decide to get a bigger frag tank, etc. Only bad things with this particular light is there is only 1 powercord for the blue and white lights, also no dimmer. Plenty of cheap lights on eBay, but I don't know anything about them.
Thats probably a bit out of my budget. I think I'm going with a par38 bulb. I just need my designer zoas to grow so I can. Currently have 4$ to my name. Hate being a broke teenager.

6500k 100 watt cfl , 8000 0r 10000 would be better if you could find one
a 2' t5 would work also

Than a par bulb? No offense but all those bulbs wild look terrible on a sw tank, and wouldn't support coral. Op, I think your in the right track, reefkoi's par bulb is $80 and terrific.

Thats probably a bit out of my budget. I think I'm going with a par38 bulb. I just need my designer zoas to grow so I can. Currently have 4$ to my name. Hate being a broke teenager.

BigReds is right. Those cfl's will not support coral growth at all. The par38 will do great. I totally understand being broke, but you are not going to find a $4 light to support coral growth, especially zoas. Im sure you could find a par38 bulb for cheaper than $80 though. Best advice I have is save up some money, and do a little searching for lights. I highly recommend LEDs (at least 2-3 watt) or maybe even some t5's. I wouldn't get anything less than 10k, but would aim for 12k-14k for a zoanthid frag tank.

BigReds is right. Those cfl's will not support coral growth at all. The par38 will do great. I totally understand being broke, but you are not going to find a $4 light to support coral growth, especially zoas. Im sure you could find a par38 bulb for cheaper than $80 though. Best advice I have is save up some money, and do a little searching for lights. I highly recommend LEDs (at least 2-3 watt) or maybe even some t5's. I wouldn't get anything less than 10k, but would aim for 12k-14k for a zoanthid frag tank.

I wasn't expecting to get anything for 4$. I worded my post wrong. I need my designer zoas to grow in my main tank so I can buy a par38.
15W 21W 27W 36W 54W E27 LED Coral Reef Plant Grow Light PAR38 Fish Tank Aquarium | eBay
What do you guys think about this one? What wattage would be best?

While they'll probably work, the color is going to look terrible. You won't get the real pop out of zoas with a light that's that white. The 9 and 12 led units (which are the ones you'd be looking at) have a 2:1 white to blue ratio, you really want that flipped IMHO.

Personally I'd be nervous about that particular bulb. Although they are Bridelux LEDs and 3 watts ( which actually doesn't matter) they must be old lights that the original company couldn't sell. Now the Chinese manufacturer is rebranding them and people assume they are newer versions than they actually are.
I say this because the lights use very old and inefficient LEDs that are pushing a dim 60-70 lum per watt.
So, if you get them, remember you will require more watts than a modern Bridgelux or Cree powered light would need. But it still should work for a 10 gal tank I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

While they'll probably work, the color is going to look terrible. You won't get the real pop out of zoas with a light that's that white. The 9 and 12 led units (which are the ones you'd be looking at) have a 2:1 white to blue ratio, you really want that flipped IMHO.

Agreed. I'm unable to find anything flipped in my price range. Is green good for reefs? I found a lot of lights with a lot of green.
There is this one-
Full Spectrum E27 Fixture 12 LED Aquarium Coral Reef Light Fresh Saltwater PAR38 | eBay

Oops read wrong. I thought the blue white ratio was flipped. Definitely right about more blue than white for the zoas. Not sure about those bulbs honestly.

Back
Top Bottom