Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Cheap light for 10g Frag tank?

I need a cheap light (on a super super low budget) for a 10g zoa frag tank. Any ideas?
__________________

__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Frankie_Garcia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 603
Wave point led


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Frankie_Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
120w LED from eBay might be a little much for the 10 gallon but it will definitely do the job. I know from personal experience that these particular xen-lux fixtures are great lights for corals of all types, and for the price, cannot be beat. Plus they can be used later if you decide to get a bigger frag tank, etc. Only bad things with this particular light is there is only 1 powercord for the blue and white lights, also no dimmer. Plenty of cheap lights on eBay, but I don't know anything about them.
__________________
paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
120w LED from eBay might be a little much for the 10 gallon but it will definitely do the job. I know from personal experience that these particular xen-lux fixtures are great lights for corals of all types, and for the price, cannot be beat. Plus they can be used later if you decide to get a bigger frag tank, etc. Only bad things with this particular light is there is only 1 powercord for the blue and white lights, also no dimmer. Plenty of cheap lights on eBay, but I don't know anything about them.
Thats probably a bit out of my budget. I think I'm going with a par38 bulb. I just need my designer zoas to grow so I can. Currently have 4$ to my name. Hate being a broke teenager.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
MICEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SPRINGFIELD,OREGON
Posts: 490
6500k 100 watt cfl , 8000 0r 10000 would be better if you could find one
a 2' t5 would work also
__________________
MICEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICEY View Post
6500k 100 watt cfl , 8000 0r 10000 would be better if you could find one
a 2' t5 would work also

Than a par bulb? No offense but all those bulbs wild look terrible on a sw tank, and wouldn't support coral. Op, I think your in the right track, reefkoi's par bulb is $80 and terrific.
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
Thats probably a bit out of my budget. I think I'm going with a par38 bulb. I just need my designer zoas to grow so I can. Currently have 4$ to my name. Hate being a broke teenager.
BigReds is right. Those cfl's will not support coral growth at all. The par38 will do great. I totally understand being broke, but you are not going to find a $4 light to support coral growth, especially zoas. Im sure you could find a par38 bulb for cheaper than $80 though. Best advice I have is save up some money, and do a little searching for lights. I highly recommend LEDs (at least 2-3 watt) or maybe even some t5's. I wouldn't get anything less than 10k, but would aim for 12k-14k for a zoanthid frag tank.
__________________
paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
BigReds is right. Those cfl's will not support coral growth at all. The par38 will do great. I totally understand being broke, but you are not going to find a $4 light to support coral growth, especially zoas. Im sure you could find a par38 bulb for cheaper than $80 though. Best advice I have is save up some money, and do a little searching for lights. I highly recommend LEDs (at least 2-3 watt) or maybe even some t5's. I wouldn't get anything less than 10k, but would aim for 12k-14k for a zoanthid frag tank.
I wasn't expecting to get anything for 4$. I worded my post wrong. I need my designer zoas to grow in my main tank so I can buy a par38.
15W 21W 27W 36W 54W E27 LED Coral Reef Plant Grow Light PAR38 Fish Tank Aquarium | eBay
What do you guys think about this one? What wattage would be best?
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
I wasn't expecting to get anything for 4$. I worded my post wrong. I need my designer zoas to grow in my main tank so I can buy a par38.
15W 21W 27W 36W 54W E27 LED Coral Reef Plant Grow Light PAR38 Fish Tank Aquarium | eBay
What do you guys think about this one? What wattage would be best?
I would get the 36w with 12-3w leds or the higher watt one.
__________________
paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,675
While they'll probably work, the color is going to look terrible. You won't get the real pop out of zoas with a light that's that white. The 9 and 12 led units (which are the ones you'd be looking at) have a 2:1 white to blue ratio, you really want that flipped IMHO.
__________________

__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheap, frag, light, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project II : 20L with 10g sump & 10g frag xxlbreed Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 2 03-27-2012 02:49 PM
I need to FRAG - NO FRAG TANK goisles1 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 20 10-01-2009 02:54 PM
I need a cheap light for a 10g FW tank, or place to buy one Civicman86 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 2 01-30-2006 11:14 PM
cheap,cheap,cheap gravel okaquarium Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 10-07-2004 05:47 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.