Cheapie skimmer works best ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanaut

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all

I bought a Seaclone skimmer and after a week and a half it wasnt producing anything.So, with the advise of many I took it back. I was considering a Remora But in the mean time I hooked my old Berlin 60. Just 5 hours after it was hooked up,Ive got a quarter cup of skimmate. Does that seem right? Maybe there was something wrong with the seaclone? But yah know what .... Im gonna keep the Berlin 60 or maybe get a bigger one of the same style. Thanks for all your help with last post.

I have a clone, knockoff type I bought from a seller/builder on ebay. Standard venturi design for $80, shipping included. It's "rated" to 100 gallons and I use it on my 55. Makes skimate like crazy. Nice consistant foam being produced for very little money.

skimmers are skimmer, don't believe the hype.

if it pulls stuff out of the water then it is working.

always get one that is rated for a much bigger tank than the one you are putting it on.

I am presently running a Seaclone 150 and it took a few days to "break in". It was quite finicky to adjust at first. Now, it's producing scum at a steady volume and I empty the cup every second day (about 1/2 full). Mind you, there is only the LR in there at the moment. I think the curing period is over because the volume of scum is way down from the beginning where I was collecting 1/2 cup every day. The water is crystal clear at the moment and the foul smell is gone too, much to my wife's satisfaction. :lol:

That being said, I'm not sure if it will still be doing a proper job when I introduce the fishes in about a month from now. Will have to wait and see. :) HTH

8)

tanks are so unique, I can see one skimmer doing a better job than another on tank A, but not tank B.

You have to realize that the skimmer's purpose is not primarily for water circulation. So make sure that when you are skimming, you set your skimmer only to a point that "dry suds" are coming out of it. If it is taking that much wet suds everyday, you might want to crank your skimmer down a bit. Skimming too much will greatly reduce your salinity (gravity).

I have a Prizm Skimmer and I thought in the beginning it sucks because water seems to come out pretty slow. But the reality is, water will be slow because the skimmer is not primarily for water circulation.

Your collection cup should be emptied out once a week. And if it is more prevalent than that, crank it down. Yes, you need a clean tank, but you may be hurting your gravity if you overkill the skimming.

good points archie. My only comment is that if you have a messy tank (like, one full of carnivores, or an overstocked tank) that you might get 2 cups of 'proper' skimmate a week, instead of just one. Skimmate should be nearly as dark as coffee...not thin like watered down tea.

I have an excaliber skimmer. I agree that different skimmers work for different setups

Aquanaut, I too am using the Berlin 60. It's in my 29 and I have it dialed in just right. If you need help with that one, LMK.

Back
Top Bottom