Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

check valve

Thanks for all your help before. You can see my sump/fuge in DIY forum. This week I will change some plumbing. I will have Mag 12 going thru chiller to one overflow and Mag 9.5 go directly to second overflow in my 125 reef. Do I need check-valves in line between pump and overflow <always had them But I,m not sure if I need them>. I know they restrict a flow a lot. Please let me know. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
no. you don't need them. just make sure when you turn the power off, you have a way to break siphon, so you don't drain too much water back to the sump.
btw, that's an awful lot of return for a 125. you could probably get away with just the mag12.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
no. you don't need them. just make sure when you turn the power off, you have a way to break siphon, so you don't drain too much water back to the sump.
btw, that's an awful lot of return for a 125. you could probably get away with just the mag12.
So what is the easy and safe way to break siphon? Just put return nozzles at or part above water level??
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
easy and safe? i would drill a hole in the return pipe(s) just below the water line inside the display. that was you can still direct the returns where you want, and the hole will do the siphon break for you.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

As Mr.x but I would drill 2 just in case one gets blocked by a snail or something,also the flow coming out of the holes when the pump is running helps agitate the water surface.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

check valve

A ball check valve is a check valve in which the closing member, the movable part to block the flow, is a spherical ball. In some (but not all) ball check valves, the ball is spring-loaded to help keep it shut. For those designs without a spring, reverse flow is required to move the ball toward the seat and create a seal. The interior surface of the main seats of ball check valves are more or less conically-tapered to guide the ball into the seat and form a positive seal when stopping reverse flow.

Tags
val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com