Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-17-2005, 11:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
chill out!

does anyone here use a chiller? i just bought on off ebay for $135. its a Via Aqua 1/4 hp chiller. its used but only for a year. even better for me, the seller is here in houston, only a few miles where i can pick this up. i think its a great deal since new its over $300

i bought the chiller because of the houston heat, today it felt like 110 ! i know my tank is going to feel the heat, its still in progress but tommorow i should have the tank filled and some live rock im picking up tommorow also,

just wondering who has them and what tips you can give me. its for a 75 gal with a wet dry filter modded to be a sump/refugium. thanks

pelochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I hope your not going to put the chiller in a room where you intend to sit if it is... then get ready for the noise and heat

most setups I have seen, have the chiller relocated away from the display area, where they pump the water to and fro

75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
well i am going to put that chiller in the same room beside the sump. main reason is the heat. I have my tank in the corner, unfortunately its where two windows meet. i know its not even a good idea buts was the only place i could fit my tank.

and since its right on the windows, i have dark curtains, it does get warm there. the only pluses is the chiller claims "Controller turns unit on when temperature rises 1.5 degree" so it wont be on all the time and also "Quieter than 9 out of 10 chillers on the market"

going to pick this up tommorow, by the way, it recommends a pump of 100 to 400 gph, do u have any recommendations? TIA
pelochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I reduced my tanks temp by simply putting a fan over the water surface. I was having problems with the temp changing serveral degrees during the day. Never bought a chiller though, they are way too expensive, noisy, and energy users for me.
JPloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Being in Monterrey,Mexico which has the same problems as you have in Houston, I bought a chiller. It has saved my fish's lives several times. When I was cycling the tank it got to 95°F imagine what would've happened if I had fish. After that, I tried the fan setup but couldn't get it lower than 88°F as the tank is located on a room that gets quite hot during the day. So I went shopping for a chiller and got a really good deal on ebay and I am quite happy about my chiller.
Well the chiller is a bit noisy but you get used to it in a week or two. My wife doesn't mind the noise at all, she complained just the first week but then I guess she too got used to it, its not that bad. On with the energy bill, well it doesn't make a big difference. But then again, mine is a 1/5 hp one... You won't regret it, and at $135 it was a steal!!!
Homero Cuellar
hcuellart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com