Chiller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys do all aquariums need a chiller and a calcium reactor. I was thinking of buying a chiller and reactor for 650 dollars at my lfs.
Also Are reef live calcium reactors any good ?

Unless you live somewhere that is always hot, a chiller isn't necessary.
Same goes for a calcium reactor. You need an overstocked SPS tank to see such a large draw from your calcium to need a reactor, even needing to dose calcium for that matter.

Not sure about the brand, but not all systems need calcium reactors or chillers. As far as the chiller goes, it depends on the temp of the room it's in and what components you are using, and how much they heat the water. For instance, if you are planning on using metal halides and you don't run the air conditioning very often, there is a good chance you will need a chiller. If you use LED lighting and love your house freezing cold in the summer, as I do, then you won't need a chiller.
The calcium reactor is a preference thing really. You can keep a healthy, thriving, reef by keeping the water as close to natural sea water as possible. Some do it with frequent water changes, some with dosing trace elements as needed, and some with calcium reactors. All can be quite effective.

Back
Top Bottom