Chiller Alternative, < $30 and it works... just an FYI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know there are some threads mentioning similar fans that are quite old and I didn't want to resurrect them, however I have been running my Aquapod24 with an open top and wanted to avoid buying a chiller because of the expense at the moment and this solution that I got on ebay works perfectly and kept my temps at 80deg all day without any fluctuation greater than .5 deg (which is what I have my tank set at).

twofans.jpg

eBay Seller: aqua eworld: Pet Supplies, Yard, Garden Outdoor Living items on eBay.com

http://webpages.charter.net/cleochang/Aquatek Brochure - One Page.pdf

http://www.aquatek-california.com/twoFans.html

The thing I like best about this product is how small it is and its hardly noticeable. I initially had a room fan on a stepstool in the room pointed at the tank, which was horrible looking but worked so I'm glad to replace that with this little thing.

Just passing along info, I don't work for or care to promote this product, just letting all of you know who think they need to fork over $300 for a chiller that there is a cheaper way. That being said, you could probably DIYwith computer components cheaper than $30, but I wanted a clean nice looking product and I figured I would botch up the DIY route. It looks fairly easy to disassemble too, so if you wanted to replace the fans inside it looks fairly simple.

Last edited:
I've been looking at thsoe fans. How long have you had it?
How much clearance do you need to the top of the fan?
My light fixture runs the lenght of my tank and is still on mounting legs, so I opnly havea bout 4" of clearance to the bottom of the fixture as you can see below. I'm still waiting for my nephew to help me hang this thing.:rolleyes:

I've been looking at thsoe fans. How long have you had it?
How much clearance do you need to the top of the fan?
My light fixture runs the lenght of my tank and is still on mounting legs, so I opnly havea bout 4" of clearance to the bottom of the fixture as you can see below. I'm still waiting for my nephew to help me hang this thing.:rolleyes:

Wow... you've got a beautiful tank...

If you set up the fan standing straight up, then, it's 5.5 inches in height. But I have my fans tilted at an angle, so the height measure just over 4 inches. (see picture) so, I think you can angle it even more to fit in the 4" gap you have.

I've bought several of these fans... the oldest one is still running strong almost 2 years after I first installed it. (i hook the fans to a timer... running about 4 hrs straight each time)

Attachments

• TwoFanInstalled.jpg
    TwoFanInstalled.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Thank you. That is the type of information I was looking for. I'm glad to hear you've had onve working that long. I was thinking of getting two of the 6-fan units. My tank is 6' long. I would like to put them on the back facing front, but as long as the fixture is sitting on the tank I would have to point them up to get clearance. I see you have yours pointing down. Will they point up a few degrees (like 20)?

Thank you. That is the type of information I was looking for. I'm glad to hear you've had onve working that long. I was thinking of getting two of the 6-fan units. My tank is 6' long. I would like to put them on the back facing front, but as long as the fixture is sitting on the tank I would have to point them up to get clearance. I see you have yours pointing down. Will they point up a few degrees (like 20)?

You can switch the direction of airflow depending on your tank set up. I had to do that for one of my friend's tank cuz it was leaned against a back wall.

Assuming that you want to tilt the fan in the other direction (say "up" in your case), you just have to swap the mounting bracket from left to right and vice versa. Don't worry, this is very easy... each of the mounting bracket is secured with a single screw, so all you need is a screw driver.

Hope this helps.

That's some good info.....I just bought one for my tank.....can't do the chiller right now.....bought more corals from the good doctor's today. I think I need help.....corals anonymous here I come.

Back
Top Bottom