Chiller and electric bill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im running a 1/4 hp chiler on a 66 gallon tank. I know its a little too powerful but i got it cheap. However, is it easier on my electric bill if i replaced it with a 1/10 or 1/5? Someone please explain

Probably yes. But you'd have to see the amps drawn by the chiller to be sure. Assuming standard voltage, convert to watts and figure out, roughly how long it runs each day to get a rough cost.

Or, get a Kill-A-Watt and see what it says.

So basically figure out how long the chiller runs? Seems to me a more powerful shiller would run less often than a 1/10..but maybe it's using more energy?

It may run less often, but it really depends on how much power it draws, to determine if it will be more or less expensive to run. You'd have to figure what the duty cycle of the two chillers would be (I don't know if the manufacturers publish how quickly they can cool down X gallons of water) and calculate the cost. Just remember, the chiller motor will generate heat, and the heat from the water is going to be dumped into your room, as well.

Honestly, a Kill-A-Watt would be a good investment in general, and could help you with this.

Have you considered fans blowing across the surface to aid evaporation (and thus remove heat from the water)? An ATO could make up for the evap loss easily.

Back
Top Bottom