chiller question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevedpepper

Aquarium Advice Regular
Gang,
Quick question. I'm thinking about getting a chiller for my 125g sw tank. I have had crazy fluctuations with temps: 72 to 86 degree swings sometimes. So, in order to stabilize temps at around 78 I've decided to go with a 1/4 HP chiller. My question is this: will the chiller INCREASE the temperature if for some reason through the night when the lights are off the water would naturally drop below 78? I see a chiller not allowing the temp to go above 78 but will it allow it to go BELOW 78? is there a heating element in the chiller as well to raise the temp if it does drop below 78? Thanks!!

The chiller will only cool the water to what you set the temperature at. Some models have a plug for a heater and then the chiller controls both. But normal operation the units only cool the water. Usually there is only one setting (cool). My unit is set to 78 and the heater to 76. Since all my water pumps keep it around 77 without lights I hardly ever see the heater come on and the chiller usually only in the summertime.

Back
Top Bottom