Chillers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

I have a red sea max 250 and want to buy a chiller for it. I live in socal, so the temp can get up there. It is usually very nice though, so i dont need a heavy duty on..just somthing smaller, reliable, and cheap will suffice. Tank got to 89 degrees yesterday...i dont want that happen again. I know nothing about chillers..so someone please help! Thanks!!

The jbj chillers are pretty decent. Heard good things a out them. They are pricey though. Any chance you can get a used one on CL?

AquaRick said:
The jbj chillers are pretty decent. Heard good things a out them. They are pricey though. Any chance you can get a used one on CL?

Really? Anything cheaper though? I would check CL..but i literally know nothing about them!! Hah

You get what you pay for.... ;)

In all honesty, chillers are just really expensive. One model/brand may save you a bit over another, but not by much as far as I have seen.

AquaRick said:
You get what you pay for.... ;)

In all honesty, chillers are just really expensive. One model/brand may save you a bit over another, but not by much as far as I have seen.

Wow, these things seem like a hassle! Ok, so what other ways do i have to cool my tank down? We cant leave the AC on forever..but i also cant keep adding ice in bags every night!!

Honestly, you're just going to need to get a chiller. Blowing a fan over your tank can help but it's not going to make it cooler than the temperature of the room. You can freeze large 2 liter bottles overnight and then add them to your sump/DT and refreeze at night. It can help, but just a hassle.

AquaRick said:
Honestly, you're just going to need to get a chiller. Blowing a fan over your tank can help but it's not going to make it cooler than the temperature of the room. You can freeze large 2 liter bottles overnight and then add them to your sump/DT and refreeze at night. It can help, but just a hassle.

Hmm, okay. So the jbj is what i need then? How do they even work exactly? Lol, sorry rick. You seem to be the only one here that knows anything on the subject!

You don't need a jbj brand. There are several brands out there that will work well too.

A chiller runs your water either in line with your plumbing or separately like a canister filter and cools your water temp. You set the chiller thermostat, like a heater's, and set it to the max temp you want to keep your water. It's a good idea to set your chiller a degree or two above your heater's temp so they both don't work at the same time.

Interesting. The thing is, i really dont need a super advanced one. Just a simple, easy to use, smaller one. The temp doesnt go crazy often..any ideas as far as that goes? I think ive got like a 200$ max for a chiller..

Even a used chiller will probably go for more than $200. What's the temp of your tank at? Mine is hitting 82.5 when it's 106 outside. It really just depends where your tank is located in what side of the house too.

AquaRick said:
Even a used chiller will probably go for more than $200. What's the temp of your tank at? Mine is hitting 82.5 when it's 106 outside. It really just depends where your tank is located in what side of the house too.

Really? It hit 89 the other day, and 85 yesterday..not good. Ours is downstairs, i dont know why it is so hot!!

How old is the house? Could be bad insulation, or a spot too close to an exterior wall facing the sun?

Is there anywhere else in the house you can keep your tank that'd be ok with you? I'd think about moving it to a better spot in the house, rather than to spend a lot more money for a chiller.

I had my cube near a wall facing the sun when I first started and it was always hot. I moved it to the opposite wall and the water was 4 degrees cooler. It's not as nice a spot as before, but then again I didn't have to spend $600 on a chiller with monthly electricity costs.

Yup, old house.

You know...the window is across from at an it doesnt have blinds yet!! That has to be the problem!!

I might..but it is like 2000 lbs now that its filled lol.

Back
Top Bottom