Chillers, any that are a complete solution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been browsing around looking into chillers. Now that it's June and the temps most likely won't go below 76 until late October, I'm going to pack away the heater and look into a chiller.

What I am curious about and have yet to find is if there are any units available that handle both heating and cooling.
It really makes sense to incorporate both into a complete temperature control system.
Most chillers make the claim "will maintain temps" but in actuality all they do is cool it down to a certain threshold and keep it there. If temps drop below that threshold, well....

So are there any out there that do both without costing thousands of $$$.

I've been browsing around looking into chillers. Now that it's June and the temps most likely won't go below 76 until late October, I'm going to pack away the heater and look into a chiller.

What I am curious about and have yet to find is if there are any units available that handle both heating and cooling.
It really makes sense to incorporate both into a complete temperature control system.
Most chillers make the claim "will maintain temps" but in actuality all they do is cool it down to a certain threshold and keep it there. If temps drop below that threshold, well....

So are there any out there that do both without costing thousands of $$$.

None that I've seen. It might be a good idea to patent that and get some in production :D

IMO a chiller cost more to run then a heater?
Add in the expense of electric heat and this is not an efficient plan.
Quite a handy/convenient idea but the cost would be outrageous IMO.
I don't use my chiller.
My buddy uses his and it warms up the room(like a dehumidifier would).

IMO a chiller cost more to run then a heater?
Add in the expense of electric heat and this is not an efficient plan.
Quite a handy/convenient idea but the cost would be outrageous IMO.
I don't use my chiller.
My buddy uses his and it warms up the room(like a dehumidifier would).

The cost for any chiller is extreme, but it would be nice to have an all in one temperature control box for a tank. I could certainly use one.

Since most if not all chillers require a separate pump,which I would guess runs 24/7(only the chiller is run on thermostat) why not incorporate an inline heater like a hydor with a separate control/thermostat.
Then you need to make sure only 1 or the other was operating??
Or have a 2 degree" window" where neither operates???
??Just running with it!!

Or... OR You could just make a combo canister filter, chiller, and heater. Set it to run at a specific temperature and then you would be good to go.

You wouldn't be wasting electricity with having a pump running and you wouldn't have extra equipment laying around.

Since most if not all chillers require a separate pump,which I would guess runs 24/7(only the chiller is run on thermostat) why not incorporate an inline heater like a hydor with a separate control/thermostat.
Then you need to make sure only 1 or the other was operating??
Or have a 2 degree" window" where neither operates???
??Just running with it!!

Well I do have the 300 watt Hydor and that is a configuration I considered. I don't see how the cost of operation would be more if both were integrated into one unit and controlling is no problem, a thermostat similar to an air conditioner would suffice and a 2 degree difference would be enough.
I know I saw a description for one online a while ago, but can't remember the name, but it was a few grand for the smaller ones and they had large ones for commercial systems as well.

I'm thinking a chiller is becoming a necessity for me, like I said, it's only June and my tank is already staying at 82-84 consistently and I can tell some of the coral are not loving it. by mid July I'll be seeing tank temps in the 90's like last year, and floating frozen water bottles gets old fast and causes too big of variances throughout a 24 hour period.
I can tell my chocolate chip star is starting to be effected. Last year one I had half melted in less than a day because of the heat

I've been seeing some local on craigs list for around 2-3 hundred bucks, but I'm kinda sketchy on buying certain equipment used, a chiller being one of them.

You do get what you pay for?
I think my corallife chiller list for very close to your link without the heater!
Next year???After this summer?

You do get what you pay for?
I think my corallife chiller list for very close to your link without the heater!
Next year???After this summer?

unless our business has a really good summer.
I done already spent more $$$ than the wife allows on lights, fuge, pumps, etc. LOL

but as I am still weighing the options, I haven't ruled the Teco unit out altogether.
Been trying to find good prices online and so far the best price is from Teco's website, everywhere else they are $50-$100 more.
It just comes down to if having that integrated 400 watt heater is worth the additional $200.
At least from all I have read, their stuff is top notch quality.

Back
Top Bottom