Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Chillers, any that are a complete solution?

I've been browsing around looking into chillers. Now that it's June and the temps most likely won't go below 76 until late October, I'm going to pack away the heater and look into a chiller.

What I am curious about and have yet to find is if there are any units available that handle both heating and cooling.
It really makes sense to incorporate both into a complete temperature control system.
Most chillers make the claim "will maintain temps" but in actuality all they do is cool it down to a certain threshold and keep it there. If temps drop below that threshold, well....

So are there any out there that do both without costing thousands of $$$.
__________________

__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
I've been browsing around looking into chillers. Now that it's June and the temps most likely won't go below 76 until late October, I'm going to pack away the heater and look into a chiller.

What I am curious about and have yet to find is if there are any units available that handle both heating and cooling.
It really makes sense to incorporate both into a complete temperature control system.
Most chillers make the claim "will maintain temps" but in actuality all they do is cool it down to a certain threshold and keep it there. If temps drop below that threshold, well....

So are there any out there that do both without costing thousands of $$$.
None that I've seen. It might be a good idea to patent that and get some in production
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 5,249
IMO a chiller cost more to run then a heater?
Add in the expense of electric heat and this is not an efficient plan.
Quite a handy/convenient idea but the cost would be outrageous IMO.
I don't use my chiller.
My buddy uses his and it warms up the room(like a dehumidifier would).
__________________
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
IMO a chiller cost more to run then a heater?
Add in the expense of electric heat and this is not an efficient plan.
Quite a handy/convenient idea but the cost would be outrageous IMO.
I don't use my chiller.
My buddy uses his and it warms up the room(like a dehumidifier would).
The cost for any chiller is extreme, but it would be nice to have an all in one temperature control box for a tank. I could certainly use one.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 5,249
Since most if not all chillers require a separate pump,which I would guess runs 24/7(only the chiller is run on thermostat) why not incorporate an inline heater like a hydor with a separate control/thermostat.
Then you need to make sure only 1 or the other was operating??
Or have a 2 degree" window" where neither operates???
??Just running with it!!
__________________
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Or... OR You could just make a combo canister filter, chiller, and heater. Set it to run at a specific temperature and then you would be good to go.

You wouldn't be wasting electricity with having a pump running and you wouldn't have extra equipment laying around.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
Since most if not all chillers require a separate pump,which I would guess runs 24/7(only the chiller is run on thermostat) why not incorporate an inline heater like a hydor with a separate control/thermostat.
Then you need to make sure only 1 or the other was operating??
Or have a 2 degree" window" where neither operates???
??Just running with it!!
Well I do have the 300 watt Hydor and that is a configuration I considered. I don't see how the cost of operation would be more if both were integrated into one unit and controlling is no problem, a thermostat similar to an air conditioner would suffice and a 2 degree difference would be enough.
I know I saw a description for one online a while ago, but can't remember the name, but it was a few grand for the smaller ones and they had large ones for commercial systems as well.

I'm thinking a chiller is becoming a necessity for me, like I said, it's only June and my tank is already staying at 82-84 consistently and I can tell some of the coral are not loving it. by mid July I'll be seeing tank temps in the 90's like last year, and floating frozen water bottles gets old fast and causes too big of variances throughout a 24 hour period.
I can tell my chocolate chip star is starting to be effected. Last year one I had half melted in less than a day because of the heat

I've been seeing some local on craigs list for around 2-3 hundred bucks, but I'm kinda sketchy on buying certain equipment used, a chiller being one of them.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Could always rock out with your DIY out

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Yeah, I've seen that video before, not a bad idea.


But I found an all-in-one solution at Teco USA;
https://www.tecous.com/


they are pricey but very nice.
maybe next year's tax refund............
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 5,249
You do get what you pay for?
I think my corallife chiller list for very close to your link without the heater!
Next year???After this summer?
__________________

__________________
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chi, chiller

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complete Solution for Phosphate and Nitrate Removal purewaterguy Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 0 04-21-2012 01:54 PM
Kent Lugol's Solution vs Medisca Inc. Lugol's solution? Fat_Penguin Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 03-06-2007 09:49 PM
chillers-so expensive!! gilraen Saltwater Reef Aquaria 10 01-07-2005 07:30 PM
Thoughts on Skimmers, UV Sterilisers & Chillers flanque Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 10 11-28-2004 07:42 PM
Thermo Electric Chillers, any experience? pecan2phat General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 0 04-05-2004 03:40 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.