Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chinese Made Lilly Pipes

Anyone have any experience with these, preferably good experience. I'm looking for a set to fit a Fluval 206. Will I need to change the ribbed hose or will they fit. They don't have to be ADA quality but decent enough. I know there tons of them on Ebay but it's hard to tell the quality from a picture!!. They are to fit a 30g(German made) tank that I have my eye on. Dimensions I don't have yet(waiting for seller to reply), but I guess it's regular size and has a rim on top.....Thanks, Ian

Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I don't have personal experience ordering these. However, the more popular 'chinese' ones are from Aquatic Magic. Although their workmanship can be a little sloppy, most users report decent quality for the price. But that was the thought process like a year or two or more ago, being AquaticMagic was the only China supplier who sold dirt cheap glassware compared to the monopoly we had in the US. Now I'm starting to see many options that "look" good coming from HK/China. I'd probably just choose a seller with a high feedback percentage score.

I've purchased several glassware diffusers from another chinese manufacturer called NAG-Aqua. A lot of their stuff, appear to look just like ADA & Do!Aqua but at a fraction of the price. I wouldn't be too surprised if they are even manufactured from the same sources ADA gets there stuff built (or even the other HK/China sellers for lily pipe knock-offs). ADA used to have everything made in Germany, I believe... now everything ADA are built in China. My Cal Aqua lily pipes are made in Taiwan. So I think quality has become standardized and what you're paying for is the name when you think of spending top-dollar on ADA, Do!Aqua, or Cal Aqua and the alike.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
I don't have personal experience ordering these. However, the more popular 'chinese' ones are from Aquatic Magic. Although their workmanship can be a little sloppy, most users report decent quality for the price. But that was the thought process like a year or two or more ago, being AquaticMagic was the only China supplier who sold dirt cheap glassware compared to the monopoly we had in the US. Now I'm starting to see many options that "look" good coming from HK/China. I'd probably just choose a seller with a high feedback percentage score.

I've purchased several glassware diffusers from another chinese manufacturer called NAG-Aqua. A lot of their stuff, appear to look just like ADA & Do!Aqua but at a fraction of the price. I wouldn't be too surprised if they are even manufactured from the same sources ADA gets there stuff built (or even the other HK/China sellers for lily pipe knock-offs). ADA used to have everything made in Germany, I believe... now everything ADA are built in China. My Cal Aqua lily pipes are made in Taiwan. So I think quality has become standardized and what you're paying for is the name when you think of spending top-dollar on ADA, Do!Aqua, or Cal Aqua and the alike.
Thanks Brian. That's my project for tonight. Can you tell I don't live a terribly exciting life, spending Sat night on the internet, searching for Chinese lily pipes...haha.
I'm actually starting to enjoy these little treasure hunts online. Trying to find a decent product at a decent price with low(ish) shipping and from someone who will actually ship it to Ireland...lol. It's exciting, in a nerdy kinda way, when I actually find all four requirements.

Tags
chi, pipe, pipes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com