Chip in bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nteal320

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So after purchasing a 150 gallon tank for fairly cheap on cl I decided to reseal it just in case. After removing the silicone I found a small chip/crack in the bottom corner of the tank. It's about a 1/4" long. It was covered up by the silicone on the bottom. I don't think it will be a problems since it will be covered by the silicone and held in place by the trim but wanted someone else's opinion. The previous owner said the tank never leaked. Also how many tubes of silicone will I need to reseal. I have two 10 oz tubes of aquarium silicone that fit in a caulking gun but didn't know if that would be enough. It's a 7ft tank. Thanks

Attachments

• image-1883251116.jpg
    image-1883251116.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 145
I realized its kind of hard to see where it is but it's on the back panel in the middle right as it meets the bottom panel

Nteal320 said:
I realized its kind of hard to see where it is but it's on the back panel in the middle right as it meets the bottom panel

Was it full of water when you bought it? You might want to do a leak test and leave it outside for a week and see if the crack gets worse better safe than sorry

It wasn't filled when I bought it. I only seen a picture of when it was up and running so I guess that doesn't really mean anything. I would just hate to put more work into it and find out it won't work but on the other hand I would hate to have 150 gallons of water on my floor too

In my house it would be a no go. There is always risk involved with keeping tanks but having visible defects in a large tank is just asking for issues if not fixed. If the tank was smaller I would have less reservations in using it by just slapping some silicone over it. For smaller tanks I have removed all silicone, clean the glass off all reside, etc.. and resealed the entire tank.

A tank this size I would look into proper way to fix it. I have observed second panes of glass being added as a patch that is siliconed over and past the entire area of concern. I have no idea to how effective this method is and would have to recommend searching for those with large tank experience. If done properly I am sure you could get some advice from some that build tanks.

After looking at it closer it is just a chip and doesn't go all the way through. Just barely into the glass but enough to see it. The more I look at it the more I am convinced it should be fine since the silicone between the panes is is fine and it doesn't see to be spreading. I'll probably finish reselling the tank and after it dries fill it a little at a time to monitor it

Back
Top Bottom