Chip repair options on Marineland 220g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fouldsy

Aquarium Advice Activist
After a number of months waiting for a non-ridiculously priced Craigslist deal, I picked up Marineland Corner-Flo 220g (72"x24"x30" lwh). The seller had been installing custom granite surround around the new tank when a piece of granite bumped the tank. The owner requested a replacement tank to be installed, but had been running for over a week until replacement without issues. I've leak tested it without problems. I'm trying to figure out the best course of action for the exterior chip.

The chip is only about 1/16" of an inch at it's deepest right on the edge, the majority is barely noticeable (hence the photos don't quite show). There are no crack marks running away from it, and the actual seam itself isn't damaged at all. There is no damage on the inside, and it's hard to even tell where it is from the inside (I'm digging the black silicone, too). It really does just appear to be cosmetic. The chip is about 18" up the front left hand side, so it's not like it's right near the bottom of the tank where water pressure would be greater.

Now, this is still going to be holding 220g water! I'll be building this in to a wall down in my basement, so with a trim around the aquarium anyway, I'm not concerned about how it looks. But, given how cheaply I got the tank, I was expecting it may need some amount of work should the panel need replacing. Cost wise, replacing the front panel wouldn't be too expensive, but that's a lot of work, and not sure finding someone local that would want to take that on. So, what are people's thoughts?

I feel like I've seen much worse chips, but that doesn't necessarily make it right ;) Should I look at replacing the front panel, or leave it? Other options, such as epoxy the chip to it's at least somewhat smooth right at the edge?

Attachments

• IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2514.jpg
    IMG_2514.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom