Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes. Some use it to water plants, or do laundry. I do not.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
The popular consensus is that the less additives you add to a coral/invert tank, the better off you are. If it's not in natural sea water, you don't want it in the aquarium.

If you were going to use the prime, it would probably be added at the very end. The water running through the filter is pressurized. A tough time adding it before the RODI, plus, why would you want to put yet another element(s) in the water you are using expensive filters to clean?
FYI, I go through a carbon block about every 2 months and sediment filters about every 3 weeks. I change the sediment out when it's brown, and the carbon I go by the TDS meter.
I'm not very familiar with the specifics of RO or RODI filters, just the concepts. Would ammonia alone or chlorine alone be removed by these filters? If yes to one but not the other, wouldn't it be beneficial to break the chlorine ammonia bond prior to filtering?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Well, it's a 150 gpd unit, and I have a booster pump on it for maximum efficiency, and I yeild about 100 gallons a week. Not sure how much waste that makes. Maybe 3 times as much?
That is almost exactly the same as me. I wonder if my carbon lasts longer because my unit is after a water softener.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I'm not very familiar with the specifics of RO or RODI filters, just the concepts. Would ammonia alone or chlorine alone be removed by these filters? If yes to one but not the other, wouldn't it be beneficial to break the chlorine ammonia bond prior to filtering?
This would be very difficult to do as the unit requires quite a bit of pressure to work.

Tags
ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com