Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2005, 03:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Choose my 2nd Filter & 1st Skimmer!

I've narrowed it down to the following 3 combinations (due to space available on the back of my tank and $) I already have an Emperor 400 on my 75 Gal SW which is ~1/3 cycled.

Should I get:

A) Magnum HOT Pro & Remora
B) Emperor 280 & Remora Pro
C) Emperor 280 & Dual Bak Pak2

PS: I'm leaning towards the Emperor 280 and the Dual Bak Pak2 (it seems like the biggest way to boost my biological filtration, speaking just about filters, not switching to DSB or LR)

PPS Now I just read about the CoraLife Super Skimmer 200, seems to be getting some excellent reviews on Reef Central. What does everyone else think about this skimmer?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=563298

Old 06-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
steve-s

Skip the power filter altogether and just go with the Remora Pro w/MAG 350 pump. You should also consider upping the amount of rock for better biological filtration. FWIW, lava rock is not the wisest addition in a SW tank. Try sticking with CaCO3 based rock that will not contain the metals commonly found in lava rock.

If cost is an issue, buy dead base rock... http://hirocks.com/Our_Products.html

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...ct2=Rocks&ct3=

Looks like the same stuff I got at the LFS (Petco). I will try to take it out and replace with either LR or base rock. Thanks for the insight. So if I have a good skimmer I won't have any problem with hair algae or cynao on the LR? (too many nutrients...?)

What makes you say skip the power filter, if I may ask.

Thanks so much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0622_751.jpg (73.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-14-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsu7
Looks like the same stuff I got at the LFS (Petco). I will try to take it out and replace with either LR or base rock. Thanks for the insight.
You should send an e-mail to the folks at Feller Stone before you take it out. It could very well be a manufactured item and not natural lava rock. I would hate to see you waste your hard earned $$ on something you could have used.
http://www.fellerstone.com/contactus/

Quote:
So if I have a good skimmer I won't have any problem with hair algae or cynao on the LR? (too many nutrients...?)
In a newly set up tank, both of these algaes (including diatoms) can be part and parcel of the nuisance blooms new tanks often incur. I cannot guarantee it won't happen but with a good amount of rock for biofiltration, a good means of export, not overstocking or overfeeding, you will at the very least greatly reduce the chances of this happening.

Quote:
What makes you say skip the power filter, if I may ask.
Mechanical filtration works, it's just more hassle than it's worth when it comes to SW aquaria. You will need to spend a weekly amount of time on it's cleanliness and will often be a source of nutrient itself if not maintained correctly. If you already had one I'd say hook it up for extra flow and possible the occassional resin/carbon product if the need arises. You can really do without it though.

Consider crabs, worms, pods and snails your mechanical filtration "so to speak"

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow, thanks so much for finding the link for me. I shot them an email, so we'll see and I'll post the results.

I do have an Emperor 400, it is my only filter right now. I have a powerhead coming and as we discussed above, I am going to add a skimmer. I read someone say I should wait till the tanks been established for 3 months to add the skimmer.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsu7
I do have an Emperor 400, it is my only filter right now. I have a powerhead coming and as we discussed above, I am going to add a skimmer.
Don't count the skimmer as part of your total flow. It does not actually push/move water within the aquarium. It also has little affect on aeration as it incorporates just as much ambient CO2 in the process. With your 400 and any additional powerheads, your looking for a total flow of 750 GPH within the tank at minimum.

Quote:
I read someone say I should wait till the tanks been established for 3 months to add the skimmer.
You don't "have to wait" per say, it's just that there will be little if anything for the skimmer to collect depending on how the tank is set up. A new tank with only cured LR and no life will have little to no organics during the cycle process. If using LR with heavy die off or encrusted with life, a skimmer would be a definate plus. There is no wrong time to add a skimmer IMO.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I usually advise people to start skimming the day before they add their first livestock.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I added my Hagen 70 PH today. Thanks for the info about the flow, I guess I'm at about 700 GPH right now, so still a little ways to go. Thanks for all the good gouge. .

Tags
filter, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com