Circulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two Maxijet 1200's, on opposite sides of the top of the rear of my 55 gallon. I recently vacummed some brown algae off the top of my sandbed, and now the current from the maxijets is slowly excavating an area of my sandbed in the front middle, and clouding my water. The maxijets are pointed ever so slightly up to disturb the top of the water, and I believe the currents converge in the middle (I'm assuming moving roughly downwards from there) I think I recall hearing that converging currents like this are best, but how does everyone else position their powerheads? near the top? do the currents converge? thanks

i have mine pointed up, probably with the diffusers on the second or third "click" from flat. they are at about a 45 degree angle.

if you are having trouble with them, try moving the nozzles up, or rediecting the flow so that they converge above rocks (not directly above sand). that way when the two flows meet, they will form turbulence that will be disrupted by the rocks before it reaches the sand. you will probably have to do some experimenting to find the right combination of direction and angle the results ins good turbulent flow without disrupting your sand bed.

that said, i have to do some work on one of my powerheads to keep it from digging up a corner :oops: but that one discharges directly against the glass :oops:

oh, and i have 5 powerheads in my tank. my two MJ1200s are on all the time and my 3 MJ400's are on a wave maker. the 1200s are both pointed in the same direction, and the 400s are pointed in the opposite directions... so they converge all over the tank...

~mike

Whatever you do keep disturbing the top of the water. that`s how you aerate your tank.

agree'd, point them slightly up. you'll get a more changing current, it won't dig up sand, and it keeps more oxygen in the water via surface agitation.

Back
Top Bottom