Circulation pumps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kalin0121

Aquarium Advice Regular
Upgrading to a 75 gal reef tank. Was going to purchase 2 magnetic wave makers for circulation. My options are 1300gph or 800gph each. Any suggestions?

I remember reading that u want like 10x your tank in water movement. I would go with 1 1300 and 1 800.

You want a lot more than 10x water movement in sw. Aim for 30x including your filter.

Of I were u I would go to amazon And get the hydro. They run about 20-40 way cheaper then at a lfs

Just a quick one, how r u calculating this? 30x what? Cuz I have a 174l tank and times that by 30 and u get 5200, that don't sound right????

Btw I'm using a 3000l/h and a 900l/h in a corner tank, I'm thinking about getting rid of the 900 and getting a 2000, will that be to much?

What they are saying is total water movement. So let's say you have two 1300 powerheads and a 300gph overflow then a return pump at so many gph. Then whatever else you have ie protein skimmer. For my 60gal I am planning on getting 2 800gph and if I want to have corals I will bump it up to 1300gph. It all depends on what is going in the tank. FOWLR you don't need As much as a reef tank

Tomchong22 said:
Of I were u I would go to amazon And get the hydro. They run about 20-40 way cheaper then at a lfs

I found these on eBay for 2 for 40

Tomchong22 said:
What they are saying is total water movement. So let's say you have two 1300 powerheads and a 300gph overflow then a return pump at so many gph. Then whatever else you have ie protein skimmer. For my 60gal I am planning on getting 2 800gph and if I want to have corals I will bump it up to 1300gph. It all depends on what is going in the tank. FOWLR you don't need As much as a reef tank

I have a sump with a hang on coralife 90 skimmer. Don't know the gph on my sump pump. I've done FOWLR for a while so didn't worry much about any of that stuff. Now it's a reef tank and I want to do it right but I'm new to all this.

you wouldn't count the protein skimmer pump as part of your flow in the tank. only components that move water in the DT.

Back
Top Bottom