Circulation Pumps for 55g Hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spartachris

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, first real post not including my introduction post.

I am setting up a 55g Hex FOWLR right now (though open to adding some sponges or low-maintenance corals later on). So far I've got the water and some live sand, and plan on adding some base and live rock in a few weeks. I've got an AC 70 HOB filter (300g/h) right now, but I know I need some more pumps for circulation once I get the live rock in place. Don't have room in the stand for a sump, nor do I like the idea of an HOB overflow anyway.

I'm looking at some Hydor Koralias, but need to know what would be best for placement, number and the size (gallons per hour).

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

If I recall correctly, 55hex tanks are pretty tall, aren't they? If so, you'll need a few powerheads to get good circulation, one down low and another up high.

As for how much, it depends on the types of corals you plan to eventually get. If you want some SPS and other high-flow corals, no sense in buying small pumps now that you'll have to replace later. If you plan with sticking with lower flow corals, just a pair of smaller pumps will be sufficient, such as the koralia nanos or maybe the koralia 1s.

thanks for the quick reply!

It's 31" tall. I'm still building so the sand bed is shallow, but right now I've got about 28" of water. Planning on a 4" DSB and about 75-80 of live rock.

As far as corals, I'm not sure. Nothing too high light or high maintenance. Probably some shrooms or brain corals. Not much for this tank, though.

So you think two pumps? What size?

Edit: just reread your post and saw your recommendation.

thanks!

Ok, so after I re-read the post (and edited my comment), you'd recommend two 400gph pumps, one high and one low....right?

Would that be on opposite sides of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom