CJ ~ Need advice & Intro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxenlightenedxx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I have been around aquariums for most of my life. That being said, I have ramped it up in the last few years after getting settled. My love was rekindled in college by a professor (non-traditional aged LOL) and it's been non stop since :)

I have 5 tanks up and running right now (as my sig line details)...but own 7, if you include the empty 5 (not setting back up) & 120.

What I need is repair advice on my 120g. My s.o. bought it very used and I figured it leaked. Yes, I was correct. SO... I did the traditional scrape, acetone and reseal w 100% silicone bit. That held for 4 months w/o a single drip and then out of nowhere (thankfully I was HOME at the time!) the thing started leaking big time onto the power strip. LOL, so I got out the buckets, saved the 6 fishes (15" pleco, firemouth, 2 black belts, convict and a flowerhorn) and started siphoning the rest out the window. They had just upgraded from the 30, but since I'd taken the goldfish outta the 5g (stupid small tanks) and upgraded them to the 14, it was all a matter of shuffling around again :/ A handful of Glo-Fish got eaten in the 72 by the 10" Tin Foil barb, but other than that, all are fine now...so the South Americans wait for their big home to come to life again...

~I want my 120 fixed. The frame is cracked down the front of the top and bottom, essentially worthless decor. NO VISIBLE GLASS CRACKS...

What is the best advice for getting this back up and running? Tear off the frame and build a new one and THEN reseal? Build or weld a frame around it? I think the leak might have had something to do with the floor being out of level, but not 100% sure...

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. Let`s move this thread to the General Hardware and equipment discussion forum. More people will see it there.

i would try a new frame depending on how skillful you and/or your s.o. is i prefer to work with maple.. it is a hard wood so you must pre-drill first use a good wood glue.. reseal after you have the glass in the new frame all squared up and snug.. (im sorry im not the best at explaining things but if you have more questions feel free to ask there are Plenty of DIYers on this site

I personally am of the opinion... Throw the piece of junk out.

I love a challenge and expanding my list of accomplishments. However, how could you EVER have peace of mind from that thing never leaking again. This time it sounds like you got EXTREMELY lucky.. after all, it was leaking on a powerstrip.

Personally, if i can't afford to do things right, I do not do them.

In the end, the $400-$500 it may cost you for a new tank (or cheaper if you look on Craigslist) would be a whole lot cheaper than the clean-up alone you would have to do to the room the tank is in should it leak again and you're NOT home.

That being said, if you are insistent on repairing, since you mentioned the glass is intact and it's a frame issue (not worthless decor either), depending on how old the tank is, you may be able to order one from the manufacturer. Oceanic and AllGlass have solid warranties and may be able to send a new frame for you.

Aqueon Customer Service Assistance

Oceanic Systems » Contact Us

Keep in mind the frame helps control the expansion of the tank when filled and needs to be precise both in measurement and the tension it can support. The crossbar MUST be intact too.

Good luck with your project.

The crossbars are intact, which is what is odd...it is the front/back that are all cracked.

I will look into ordering a frame...

Thnx,
CJ

I will also look into this ~ and you explained it just fine :)

i would try a new frame depending on how skillful you and/or your s.o. is i prefer to work with maple.. it is a hard wood so you must pre-drill first use a good wood glue.. reseal after you have the glass in the new frame all squared up and snug.. (im sorry im not the best at explaining things but if you have more questions feel free to ask there are Plenty of DIYers on this site

OK, so I found new frames for it by All Glass that seems to be the right size...only $30 for 2...

Now the question is how to swap it out...How do I get the old one off wo screwing up anything....?

i would suggest a razor blade a few nice sharp ones to remove the old frame .. put it between the old frame and glass and run it the length of the tank to separate any glue that might be there and trim all the way threw the end at the corner so it will be easer to pull that piece away from the glass and trim it as you pull it away.. do that until the old frame is gone and clean the spots where the old frame was to remove any residue and use some silicone to adhere the new frame in place .. (sounds pretty easy huh??) :).. good luck.. post back with questions

and anyone else have any hints/tips that might help her along the way???

I officially ordered the 2 new frames today :) They are made by All Glass, so I am very hopeful. I spoke with the owner, who makes frames himself and he was confident these were the right frames for my tank (after I measured it 2x to be precise)

BTW, just looked and the bottom frame HAD given way...which explains a lot :/ Therefore, I think I'm on the right track :)

Thank you Justin83, I will take your advice and use the blades. I can hardly wait until they get here! (He said next Friday...dang 8 days is a long way away)

No problem it can be a little difficult to cut threw the corners so be careful that the blade doesn't snap... those little babies are sharp

Back
Top Bottom