Clams and lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

Do clams require a lot or certain level of light? If so, how much?

What about those little clams that push themselves / "swim" around your tank?

I think they really do not have high light requirements. I have never heard of anyone successfully keeping them in their aquarium. Maybe someone else will chime in on them. Did you see them on ebay? If so that ebay seller is trouble. I had a round with him.

No my local fish store has them regularly. Since I do not have enough light for corals I am looking for some other creatures to add.

Incidently if you can think of some other low light creatures, other than fish, to add let me know.

serpent stars, feather dusters, sun polyps and several mushrooms do not require much if any light. Button polyps, clove, polyps, xenia, candycane all do not have "high" light requirements. How much light do you have?

2 x 36" fluros (1 blue [30W], 1 white[35W]).

As you can see, not a lot at all. I have successfully kept some corilamorphs for some time now and would like to add more, but a little variety would be nice.

I have never known them to be hard. I have several in my tank. I do nothing for them. They eat the plankton/scraps from the water. If you do not have corals that you feed you may consider giving them some plankton about once a week. Other than that just watch them.

Hmm.. I might get some then, if I can find any. When you find them, they are expensive over here.

What about something other than feather duster worms in case I cannot find any?

I pay $8-$15 depending on color etc. Stripes may know where to look there. Check out the sun polyps too. I think you will like them.

They seem to resemble these corals I used to have called "tree corals" except mine were pinkish in colour.

I cut the bottom out of a 2 liter bottle then I place it over the coral to feed (thanks lando). This keeps the fish crabs etc from stealing the food and after a while just "fluff" the water to stir up the settled shrimp that did not get stuck to a polyp.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom