Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clean Up/Filtration

I have a glass bottom tank with no gravel or anything, except gunk. I want to know if a gravel vacuum would clean up after my turtle and goldfish, because no matter how many PWC and cleaning of the filters there always seems to be junk/poo on the ground! I also want to know if the number of gallons that can be filtered "up to ___ gallons" is addable? The tank that I got came with 2 elite stingray filters and a fluval 2. I want to add more but how much is being "filtered"?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

So you have the turtle and the goldfish both in the same tank? At any rate, with goldfish one can keep adding filters until the gallons per hour are equal to 1 the number of gallons. Goldfish are messy. So it would seem you could add another filter. A gravel vac will help clean up your bare bottom tank. And a water siphon or python will make water changes easier. Just remember to dose the Prime or water conditioner for the whole tank...

Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by revchristinejday
So you have the turtle and the goldfish both in the same tank? At any rate, with goldfish one can keep adding filters until the gallons per hour are equal to 1 the number of gallons. Goldfish are messy. So it would seem you could add another filter. A gravel vac will help clean up your bare bottom tank. And a water siphon or python will make water changes easier. Just remember to dose the Prime or water conditioner for the whole tank...
I never wanted the 2 goldfish the person before had them and were going to kill them if I didn't take them, so me being me I had to take them... Thanks for the information on the gravel vac! We have a python and I have some prime! I will also be looking for filters!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

A hose without the gravel attachment is far more effective in a bare bottomed tank. You can reduce the amount f debris in the tank by removing the turtle to a basin or similar for feeding. Leave it in there until it has evacuated and than return it to the tank.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
A hose without the gravel attachment is far more effective in a bare bottomed tank. You can reduce the amount f debris in the tank by removing the turtle to a basin or similar for feeding. Leave it in there until it has evacuated and than return it to the tank.
I've tried doing that a ton of times but I just doesn't work out very well. She refuses to eat, I've left her in one of those for like 5 hours and all her food was still there! Thanks for the information!

Tags
55 gallon, clean, filters, filtration, goldfish, gravel vac, turtle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com