Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2006, 04:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Viperboy
Cleaning a Emperor 280

Just like it says ... i think my emperor is getting dirty kind of in the section where water is pumped so i think i need to clean it i guess. Water seems to be flowing into the filter good but just a little bit is flowing back out over the intake .... is this bad? .... also my main question is are there any like sites that show how to clean this filter or does anyone know how to take it apart or whatever and clean it.
Also will it be ok for my tank to be without a filter while i clean it ... say like 10 to 15 mins or however long it takes to clean it ... TIA

Ray

Old 05-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The same way you put it together is the same way you take it apart. Use the included brush to clean the intake tube and the plastic cap on the bottom of the tube. Take the spray bar out and use the brush on the inside of it, although I can't imagine your filter is old enough to need the spray bar cleaned. Pull the impeller housing out and brush it off. Check the impeller to make sure there's no gunk built up on it, or eventually the filter will start to run really loud. Float the Biowheel in the tank while you're cleaning the filter. If your cartridge is dirty, rinse it in a bucket of tankwater. That's how I clean mine anyway. Your tank will be fine without a filter running on it in the time it takes you to clean it.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Just keep your media wet and the biowheel wet. Put them in a bucket of tank water. Then take the filter apart and clean it out. Is the water flowing over the top of the filter pad? If it is, then just change the filter pad or rinse it out well. It does go over the intake if the pad is getting clogged. Do you see water in the window to the right of the biowheel? If so, the pad is just getting clogged. You may not even need to clean out the filter itself.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Viperboy
Its not flowing over the filter pad but yes there is water in the window to the right of the biowheel thats where it is flowing back out sort of next to the intake tube ..... glad to hear it is just my pad being clogged and not something like the impeller .... i have not cleaned anything on the filter since i set up my tank about 2 months ago so i hope that is just it and ill clean the filter pad out in some tank water and see what happens.

When i clean the filter pad out in some tank water i dont really need to turn my filter off to do that do I?

Thanks guys

Ray

Tags
clean, cleaning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com