Cleaning a used tank with toilet bowl cleaner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feralhound

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a tank off of craigslist for a new permanent home for my two fancy Goldies. The tank is in pretty rough condition, hard water /calcium stain/dried algae wise, but holds water came with a glass canopy and was cheap. I read somewhere were several people used a toilet bowl cleaner they got from Craigslist and scrubbed it (even said that's how they cleaned their glass canopies which lord knows my other canopies could use a good scrubbing) they said it worked wonders. However now I can't find where I read that to find the brand of cleaner. Anyone know? Ir have other suggestions? I already am aware of the vinegar treatment, just felt like this tank could use a more heavy duty method.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

be careful as some of those cleaners contain lye and can eat at the silicone seal .
also be sure to do a good rinse and wipe it out the last time with vinegar to remove any sediment

be careful as some of those cleaners contain lye and can eat at the silicone seal .
also be sure to do a good rinse and wipe it out the last time with vinegar to remove any sediment

Word. And wear gloves in a ventilate area. This stuff isn't kidding around.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As people have said make sure it won't eat the silicone also you will want to make sure the tank is very clean after, use some prime to just incase.... some cleaners even soak into the silicon and leach out later....

Back
Top Bottom