Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cleaning an old tank

Anyone have an easy way to remove what I believe is hard water spots, or calcium buildup? Someone gave me a 55 gallon for free today but it was in pretty rough shape cleanliness wise, i gave it a good scrub down with some hot water but there are quite a few stains left in the glass, Im not sure if there is even a way to remove them, anyone else had success with something like this?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitacrux View Post
Anyone have an easy way to remove what I believe is hard water spots, or calcium buildup? Someone gave me a 55 gallon for free today but it was in pretty rough shape cleanliness wise, i gave it a good scrub down with some hot water but there are quite a few stains left in the glass, Im not sure if there is even a way to remove them, anyone else had success with something like this?
Use white vinegar. I'd start with it diluted (25-50%), if that doesn't cut thru it use it full strength. I use baking soda to neutralize it afterwards then rinse, rinse and rinse 2 more times.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you this worked great! Had to break down and buy the aqueon version of the python about halfway through. Tank is looking good hoping to get the rest of the stuff I need for it this weekend so I can start cycling
Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitacrux View Post
Thank you this worked great! Had to break down and buy the aqueon version of the python about halfway through. Tank is looking good hoping to get the rest of the stuff I need for it this weekend so I can start cycling
Good to hear.

If you haven't found it, this is a good guide to cycling:

Fishless Cycling For Dummies

Good luck!

Tags
clean, cleaning, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com