cleaning aquaclear filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pucknut

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what do u guys soak the parts in, including the big filter box, to remove the hard water stains.....(the gunky white stuff)?

I use warm water and a stiff dish brush. If the mineral deposits are severe, I would soak in hot water and strong vinegar (about twice as strong as the regular stuff...available at lab supply and cleaning supply places).

I have run mine through the dishwasher, and it rids it of most of it. Vinegar is the obvious choice, because it is cheap , readily available, and most people have it in the house. The dishwasher works very well for small tanks, especially show tanks and drum bowls. they come out sparkling.

Are the detergents in the diswasher dishwashing liquids / beads dangerous ? And what about all those other additives ? Or do you have to rinse it a thousand times afterward ?

joannde said:
Are the detergents in the diswasher dishwashing liquids / beads dangerous ? And what about all those other additives ? Or do you have to rinse it a thousand times afterward ?

I was thinking the same thing.

Dish washer detergent is not soap, and rinses off cleanly. If you are concerned you can rerinse with hot water after the cycle, or run an extra rinse cycle. I have yet to have a problem, and use it for my small show tanks and drum bowls.

Back
Top Bottom