Cleaning equipment help pls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have inherited 3 boxes of assorted tank stuff which has been sitting in a garage and basement for a few years from the looks of it and I am wondering the best way to clean it. Most of the filters - aquaclears & penguins - are covered in scale, while the heaters & airpumps look *gungy* for lack of a more technical term. I was going to start with just elbow grease but know it is going to take some kind of cleaner to get the worst of the crap off. The only thing that came immediately to mind as being fish safe was vinegar but what other options do I have.

Thanks

Go Vinegar!

Vinegar is the only non toxic cleaner I know of still rinse after using it. Vinegar really dose work pretty well for most cleaning projects. It works exceptionally well on hard water deposits that can develop over time. You can use a 15% bleach, 85% water for washing decor and rock. Excessively rinse everything with fresh water after using bleach. The small amounts of bleach can kill all of your fish.

Never use soap!!! It is extremely difficult to get all of the residue off which will lead to the death of all fish.

Back
Top Bottom