Cleaning filter sock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferny27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can wash my filter sick with bleach and water? Is the bleach bad. I just did it and I'm scared

I wash my socks in a cup of bleach and on the steam setting on my washer. I then re-wash them with no bleach or anything to make sure I get it all out. I willthen let them air dry for a few days to make sure it is bleach free. Just smell the sock, if it has an odor of bleach it needs another rinse.
:)

I should be washing them weekly or at the least when they've gotten plugged up with detritus. But honestly I probably do it once a month. Getting lazy I guess.

I should be washing them weekly or at the least when they've gotten plugged up with detritus. But honestly I probably do it once a month. Getting lazy I guess.

So you're switching them out once a month? I'm switching out every 4-6 days depending on conditions.

I change mine about every 3-5 days. I'll turn it inside out, rinse off any coarse particulates in the sink, and just toss them in the laundry & wash them with whites. Since mine have the plastic rings, I'll hang them to dry instead of putting them in the dryer. The dryer probably wouldn't hurt them, but..... never know what kind of oils/chemicals might be released by heating the plastic, so I don't take the chance.

Last edited:
I change mine about every 3-5 days. I'll turn it inside out, rinse off any coarse particulates in the sink, and just toss them in the laundry & wash them with whites. Since mine have the plastic rings, I'll hang them to dry instead of putting them in the dryer.

So you use laundry detergent?

Back
Top Bottom