cleaning fish nets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nam69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know there is a solution you can buy but does any home remedies work?? I would think bleach would destroy them but maybe a weak mix might work. I do clean all my plants with bleach and soak them for days after and then again and then let them air dry for a couple of days. I already leaned my lession by not rinsing them enough and my tank cycled.

1 part bleach to 100 parts water is what I use to clean all my equipment. You could also probably mix up a brine solution. To clean nets, most stores juse use a mixture of methylene blue and a copper-based solution such of CuSO4. It really just depends. I quick bath in methylene blue rinsing then just letting it air out would kill moth pathogens.

Bleach will weaken the fabric & shorten the life of the net, even at low concentrations. <Think swimwear in chlorinated pool ...>

Most fish store (& pond people) use potassium permanganate. But if your tank is at low risk for having pathogens, then air drying is prob all that is needed.

it would prob be a good idea to have one for a QT only. many people i know have a net for each tank to lower the chance of spreeing the nastiest. i have a ton of nets but i just let them dry out.

Back
Top Bottom