Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Is this for SW or FW? The reason I ask is I had that same problem on my 125 SW tank. Once it filled it up and let it sit for a bit, I easily scrapped it off of the inside.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

For cleaning the outside is there anything wrong with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol? It immediately evaporates and the rest is pure water. Leaves everything Spotless. Just a few dabs on a paper towel.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright while we are on the subject of cleaning glass - What is the white, crusty junk that forms around the HOB filter, exposed air hoses, thermometer clip, hood, etc. Is that stuff normal? and how to I get rid of it if it starts up on the tank I'm starting?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
When I clean my equipment, I use vinegar, works like a charm (and a brand new toothbrush).

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by warped1 View Post
Alright while we are on the subject of cleaning glass - What is the white, crusty junk that forms around the HOB filter, exposed air hoses, thermometer clip, hood, etc. Is that stuff normal? and how to I get rid of it if it starts up on the tank I'm starting?
If you have a SW tank that is called salt creep. It is from water splashing onto the hoses and equipment. The water evaporates and leaves the salt behind. I usually just collect as much of it as I can and wipe the rest of. Do not put that back into your tank toss it.

As for cleaning the inside glass I would not have put lime-away inside a tank I intended for use with fish. Letting the tank soak with a water/vinegar or bleach solution for a day or to will work.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nope - not a saltwater - at least I could understand that - water evaporating and leaving salt - but I see it on freshwater tanks - the only way to describe it is white, crusty and flaky - If it builds up under the plastic of the light fixture you literally have to scrape it with a razor - and thats no some work - I don't know what it is or what cleans it easily - when I get to my buddy's house we will try the white vinegar
Old 04-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Location: Tired of the mod power plays; gone to another forum
It's mineral deposits from evaporated water. Scrape and wipe is about the only thing aquarium related to use, some diluted vinegar if you can remove the piece.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I get that white crusty stuff BAD warped. Hard water deposits. If it is on the hob filter, I take the filter to the sink, empty the media into a bowl ont he side. Then run the filter casing under hot water. Using my fingernails I just start scraping. A lot of the time it comes off in sheets. For the deposits that I can't get off, I use a razer blade. I also use the blade on the black trim of the tank. I get those deposits on my hood, light fixture (overspray from the splashing of the hob), trim, and filter. Keep up with it and it won't be so hard to maintain. We let ours go on the 29 gal tank and I am paying the price now trying to get it all cleaned up.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Location: Tired of the mod power plays; gone to another forum
Airstones are the biggest culprit. The bubbles come to the surface, pop and get water spray everywhere.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

This has been another episode of "Ask Mr. Science" -- well that explains that - and since my buddy has an air stone directly under his light that really explains that ---- kind of makes me wonder what the heck I'm drinking -- no, no, no, never mind --- I don't want to know - to quote a famous somebody "what doesn't kill me can only make me stronger............I hope
Thanks again

Tags
clean, cleaning, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com