Cleaning glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luis138

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a question. How can I clean the tank's glass and leave it spotless? I know on the outside I could use Windex and what not, but inside?

I have this tank that has hard water deposit. I used a razor blade and I was able to remove at least 60%. I bought Lime-Off to finish it but I think it made it worse. Now There is even more residue from the lime off than from the water stains.

Thank you,

Luis

Don't use Windex on the outside either. Run to much risk of getting some (even a amll amount in the tank). I use water and a microfiber for the outside. Those things are amazing. I never clean the inside except for my magentic algae scraper thing that I can't remember the **** name of at this exact moment

The tank is empty right now, I want to set it up today/tomorrow but I want to remove those white water stains 100%.

I don't know if they are from hard water, calcium, lime or what. YOu know what white stains I am talking about, right?

L

Be careful not to use anything on the inside (or the outside, really) that will leave any sort of fish-killing residue.

For those white stains this is what I did. Get a bucket of water and add a cap or two of bleach. Wash the inside of the tank and do a really good job. Rinse the tank off really good. Then let the tank air dry for a day or two. Any bleach will be gone once the tank drys out. Then add your SW and it`s not necessary but if it makes you feel better then run some dechlorinator in the water. This is what I`ve done several times in my new SW tanks when I first got them. Another thing you can do is wash with a White vinegar/water solution. I`ve heard from others that this will work also. But do remember that if you use bleach you must let the tank air dry completely. This is important.

I have used vinegar and bleach, not at the same time or in the same tank! I use dechlorinator after both as a precaution even though I rinse rinse rinse. Vinegar and a razor blade works well.

I use a long tool with a razor blade attached designed for fish tanks for the hard to clean stuff and a light brush with a basic tooth brush to clean the basic algae. Still haven't invested in a mag-float yet probably should.

I do what Melosu does, and just spray windex on a paper towl (in a different room) and then just run that over the outside of the tank, keeping at least an inch from the top.

For cleaning the inside I have a plastic razor blade (b/c it's an acrylic tank) that I use and it does a pretty good job.

My acryllic tank is SOOooooo scratched up it's ridiculous. It doesn't bother me too much but I wish there was something I could do about it. I guess just from moving rocks around or maybe some sand got in between the mag float. By the look of some of the scratches I can tell they were from something in the mag float, which I don't get since it is a mag float designed specifically for acrylic tanks.

Is this for SW or FW? The reason I ask is I had that same problem on my 125 SW tank. Once it filled it up and let it sit for a bit, I easily scrapped it off of the inside.

For cleaning the outside is there anything wrong with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol? It immediately evaporates and the rest is pure water. Leaves everything Spotless. Just a few dabs on a paper towel.

Alright while we are on the subject of cleaning glass - What is the white, crusty junk that forms around the HOB filter, exposed air hoses, thermometer clip, hood, etc. Is that stuff normal? and how to I get rid of it if it starts up on the tank I'm starting? :confused:

When I clean my equipment, I use vinegar, works like a charm (and a brand new toothbrush).

Alright while we are on the subject of cleaning glass - What is the white, crusty junk that forms around the HOB filter, exposed air hoses, thermometer clip, hood, etc. Is that stuff normal? and how to I get rid of it if it starts up on the tank I'm starting? :confused:

If you have a SW tank that is called salt creep. It is from water splashing onto the hoses and equipment. The water evaporates and leaves the salt behind. I usually just collect as much of it as I can and wipe the rest of. Do not put that back into your tank toss it.

As for cleaning the inside glass I would not have put lime-away inside a tank I intended for use with fish. Letting the tank soak with a water/vinegar or bleach solution for a day or to will work.

Nope - not a saltwater - at least I could understand that - water evaporating and leaving salt - but I see it on freshwater tanks - the only way to describe it is white, crusty and flaky - If it builds up under the plastic of the light fixture you literally have to scrape it with a razor - and thats no some work - I don't know what it is or what cleans it easily - when I get to my buddy's house we will try the white vinegar

I get that white crusty stuff BAD warped. Hard water deposits. If it is on the hob filter, I take the filter to the sink, empty the media into a bowl ont he side. Then run the filter casing under hot water. Using my fingernails I just start scraping. A lot of the time it comes off in sheets. For the deposits that I can't get off, I use a razer blade. I also use the blade on the black trim of the tank. I get those deposits on my hood, light fixture (overspray from the splashing of the hob), trim, and filter. Keep up with it and it won't be so hard to maintain. We let ours go on the 29 gal tank and I am paying the price now trying to get it all cleaned up.

This has been another episode of "Ask Mr. Science" -- well that explains that - and since my buddy has an air stone directly under his light that really explains that ---- kind of makes me wonder what the heck I'm drinking -- no, no, no, never mind --- I don't want to know - to quote a famous somebody "what doesn't kill me can only make me stronger............I hope :-?
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom