Cleaning old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sford13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok I have got an old tank that I resealed and am going to be setting up. It belonged to my mother and she has not used it for several years now. She still had the hood, filter and heater as well. However there appears to be hard water or lime deposit or something on them. Crusty white stuff. I tried just some vinegar water and that did not seem to do much for it. So I was wondering what I could do to clean everything up but not harm the fish that will be going into it. I wondered about using OxiClean as it would seem to be safe but figured that those on here would steer me in the correct direction. Thanks in advance.

for the lid and everything but the tank itself I would say to place outside on a nice day and use a spray bottle of straight vinegar (can get the spray bottles cheap at a a dollar store or wal-mart).... Let the stuff soak in for a few minutes and then spray again.

I have been going through the same thing with some used equip I have gotten. You also might want to try using a dish sponge (with the scrubby on one side). Make sure you get it new, rinse it out real good and DO NOT use any soap on the sponge or other stuff.

It might take a few times of spraying with the vinegar and scrubbing but it will come clean.

Back
Top Bottom