cleaning ornaments/plantd.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
this is my tanks. its 28l and i have 2 platties. i took some bad advice and added fish after a week of setting up my tank.
my question is: how often shall i clean plants and ornaments and shall i pull them out of the tank to clean them (in syphoned tank water) or scrub them inside the tank before i change the tank?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1392147474759.jpg
    1392147474759.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 77
the reason i ask is when i pull out plants and ornaments i got alot of debris floating around because it disturbs the gravel. i have artificial plants also

the reason i ask is when i pull out plants and ornaments i got alot of debris floating around because it disturbs the gravel. i have artificial plants also

The best way is to remove them. I would them preform a water change and syphon the gravel. Do you syphon the gravel regularly??. To clean the plants a new toothbrush is a great tool and cheap too. Just make sure it' brand new(not used!!). For really stubborn stains using hot(not Boiling) water, letting it soak for a few minutes. For really stubborn stains on plastic plants I used to bleach them. 1 part bleach for 10 parts water. Just rinse really well before putting back in the tank.....

Last edited:
The best way is to remove them. I would them preform a water change and syphon the gravel. Do you syphon the gravel regularly??. To clean the plants a new toothbrush is a great tool and cheap too. Just make sure it' brand new(not used!!). For really stubborn stains using hot(not Boiling) water, letting it soak for a few minutes. For really stubborn stains on plastic plants I used to bleach them. 1 part bleach for 10 parts water. Just rinse really well before putting back in the tank.....

i try to do gravel cleans once a week with my water change. my tank hasnt fully cycled yet. i wish i was o here before i got it. coz i would have done a fishless cycle. pet shops dont give the correct advice and because of this i lost two white cloud minnows :(

I wash my artificial plants and ornaments in hot soapy water every three weeks, rinsing 3 times. I also siphon the gravel at the same time. Also siphon the gravel weekly in between the main clean ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392410860.703782.jpg

Back
Top Bottom