Cleaning Plastic Plants (I apologize)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairghum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I apologize for being a Plastic Plant Person, but I can kill cactus (if you know what I mean). Anyone know a good way to clean plastic plants of algae, etc.?

Thanks.:D

i just took one from my freshwater tank to put in my seahorse tank and i used bleach. The algae was caked on there so bad that i didn't even know it was yellow! haha all this time i thought we had an ugly green fake plant in there but when i bleached it the algae came off and tah duhh its a yellow/orangy one. I used a mixture of bleach and water and rinsed it very very well afterwards. I also let it dry completely and then re rinsed it again before putting it in the tank

right on like kms said. just bleach it wash it off then i put it in some extra dechlorinated water since declore will break the bleach down. wash it off again and put it back in there.

I'd recommend a new/unused toothbrush. I think every aquarium keeper should have one in their cleaning supply bucket. :)

Welcome to AA! It's ok, live plants aren't for everyone. I'll also agree with the bleach and a toothbrush. Hydrogen peroxide will work in place of bleach if you have that lying around.

I bought a couple of shrimp who did an amazing job of ridding the algae off of my plastic plant.

Back
Top Bottom