Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cleaning the Python No Spill....

has anyone come up with any creative solutions to cleaning out the inside of these things? i have the 20 foot one... and every few months i notice what looks like mold developing on the inside of the tube.... ive been soaking it in a bucket of an oxyclean mixture for 2 days.... (hope that doesn't make me crazy)...

i would much rather just use some type of a brush... i just dont have one 25 feet long laying around..

Old 04-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could try using string ties to a thin cloth or a bunch of paper towels and pull it through. How safe is oxyclean for an aquarium?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

im thinking that oxyclean is a very bad idea... i wont use anything that has ever come in contact with any cleaning agent in my tank. The best way to store them is to drain them first, and leave them open on both ends so that air can get out. Mine dries out within a day of using it, then i just run hot water through it for a few before using it again

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_BroncoFan View Post
You could try using string ties to a thin cloth or a bunch of paper towels and pull it through. How safe is oxyclean for an aquarium?
dont worry it gets a very good rinsing with very hot water a few times after its been soaked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
im thinking that oxyclean is a very bad idea... i wont use anything that has ever come in contact with any cleaning agent in my tank. The best way to store them is to drain them first, and leave them open on both ends so that air can get out. Mine dries out within a day of using it, then i just run hot water through it for a few before using it again
i do the same.. its always left open... but water just collects and sits in the coils... ive heard of people setting up an extra air pump to run air through it...?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

you can use bleach. flush it out then run some extra declored water in it also.

really not sure about oxyclean never used it.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 on the bleach suggestion. I don't think I'd trust anything other than bleach or vinegar for my aquarium stuff.

Any idea why you get mold in the tubing? I'm not OCD about getting all the water out of my python and I've never had any mold issues.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
+1 on the bleach suggestion. I don't think I'd trust anything other than bleach or vinegar for my aquarium stuff.

Any idea why you get mold in the tubing? I'm not OCD about getting all the water out of my python and I've never had any mold issues.
not a clue... i figured that its just from water sitting in it.... after its used.. i try to get out as much water as i can... but as it sits coiled, the water pools...
Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

how often are you using the python? seems like if you use it every week for your pwc, then you would see mold every week, not just every couple months...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
how often are you using the python? seems like if you use it every week for your pwc, then you would see mold every week, not just every couple months...
maybe every few months was an exaggeration.... i probably notice it every 3-4 PWCs....

Tags
clean, cleaning, python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com