cleaning your cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 LARA

Aquarium Advice Freak
does anyone clean out thar gravel vacuum?
I have the venturi one.
Do parts collect bacteria?

I have always thought that if I am doing a water change, and removing some portion of the water first (which is the only way to do it, I know), that the removed water would flush the inside of the hose out enough so that when I reversed the flow to refill the tank nothing too bad would get pushed back into the tank.

Despite that belief (which could be incorrect, I suppose), I always roll up the hose after a water change in such a way that as little water as possible is left behind. Some still is in there, however. On those very rare occasions that I think my Python might have been contaminated with something, I flush it with very hot tap water and then put the whole thing in the tub with hot water and a generous shot of bleach. I work the bleach water through the length of the hose, and then let it soak for an hour or so. Followed by a thorough flushing and a shot of Prime worked through the whole thing. Some bits of discolored material are always stuck to the inside walls of the hose, but after a hot water/bleach treatment, I figure that stuff is pretty close to sterile!

Back
Top Bottom