Clear Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had been expecting my water to be really clear after getting a eheim 2217 and unfortunately the water is not "crystal clear".

This is a 55g tank and I have 7 yellow labs, 5 Afra cobue, and 7 small srt hongi.

In addition to my eheim, I also have an aqua clear 110. Anyone has any suggestions?

I always see little tiny particles in the water :/

is it micro bubbles ?

So I looked up micro bubbles and it does not seem to be the case. I took a picture of the issue. I don't know if you can see it in the picture of the whole tank but there is a picture close up as well.

Attachments

• image-3786832727.jpg
    image-3786832727.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2209402092.jpg
    image-2209402092.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 76
Over a month or two now.
You could always try customizing the canister. I would replace(slowly, over a few weeks) ALL the bio-media and replace it with Seachem Matrix. It has a lot more internal and external surface area then bio-balls/Noddles/Ceramic Rings. Then at the top of the canister i would stuff as much filter floss as possible. You could always put the floss inside a leg off some new ladies tights, the cheap ones. I use cheap bed pillows, use the stuffing inside them. It's the same as filter floss except way cheaper. A dollar or two and it'll last years. Use your original polishing pad/fine pad on top of the floss to stop any loose floss clogging the impeller. At the top of the canister i would use a 100g bag of Purigen. This should give you water that sparkles and you might find that you don't need the extra filter...
All of this will cost you $10-$15 max. Trust me, it WILL work!!!!

You could always try customizing the canister. I would replace(slowly, over a few weeks) ALL the bio-media and replace it with Seachem Matrix. It has a lot more internal and external surface area then bio-balls/Noddles/Ceramic Rings. Then at the top of the canister i would stuff as much filter floss as possible. You could always put the floss inside a leg off some new ladies tights, the cheap ones. I use cheap bed pillows, use the stuffing inside them. It's the same as filter floss except way cheaper. A dollar or two and it'll last years. Use your original polishing pad/fine pad on top of the floss to stop any loose floss clogging the impeller. At the top of the canister i would use a 100g bag of Purigen. This should give you water that sparkles and you might find that you don't need the extra filter...
All of this will cost you $10-$15 max. Trust me, it WILL work!!!!

You mean, on top of my pad I should add the purigen? Do you mean 100ml?
Sechem Purigen 100 ml

You mean, on top of my pad I should add the purigen? Do you mean 100ml?
Sechem Purigen 100 ml
Yeah, sorry i meant 100ml. It comes in it's own bag or you can buy it loose and make your own size bags. You would be fine with the 100ml bag. It keeps my water spotless...
Yeah and put it at the very top. It should be the last media that the water goes through before re-entering the tank...

Yeah, sorry i meant 100ml. It comes in it's own bag or you can buy it loose and make your own size bags. You would be fine with the 100ml bag. It keeps my water spotless...
Yeah and put it at the very top. It should be the last media that the water goes through before re-entering the tank...

Haha. Sorry, I just realized 100ml and 100g is the same thing. So the purigen expire over time? I saw the description in regards to regeneration, is that the process I should do to reuse it?

Haha. Sorry, I just realized 100ml and 100g is the same thing. So the purigen expire over time? I saw the description in regards to regeneration, is that the process I should do to reuse it?
I thought it was 100g alright..haha. It needs to be re-charged every couple of months. It of course depends on you tank size and bio-load. I have a 55g fully stocked community tank and i re-charge it every 3-4 months. It starts off a cream colour and it absorbs the bad stuff and over time turn dark brown, almost black. This is when you recharge it. This is done with a 50/50 water and bleach solution. Leave it for 24hrs, stirring occasionally, and then soak it in a solution of water and Prime(not sure of the exact ratio) for a further 8hrs. It is then ready to re-use. I bought 2, so i just swap them out.. I had very good water before hand but i did notice the difference when i used it. I'm not certain on the exact life span of it but it gets weaker after each re-charge. Some people on here don't bother re-charging it, just replace it with a new one. I re-use, because it's quite difficult to get in Ireland and i import it, so it's about 18euro($25) with shipping. I think it is only about $6-$10 over with you.. Worth every penny!!!

I thought it was 100g alright..haha. It needs to be re-charged every couple of months. It of course depends on you tank size and bio-load. I have a 55g fully stocked community tank and i re-charge it every 3-4 months. It starts off a cream colour and it absorbs the bad stuff and over time turn dark brown, almost black. This is when you recharge it. This is done with a 50/50 water and bleach solution. Leave it for 24hrs, stirring occasionally, and then soak it in a solution of water and Prime(not sure of the exact ratio) for a further 8hrs. It is then ready to re-use. I bought 2, so i just swap them out.. I had very good water before hand but i did notice the difference when i used it. I'm not certain on the exact life span of it but it gets weaker after each re-charge. Some people on here don't bother re-charging it, just replace it with a new one. I re-use, because it's quite difficult to get in Ireland and i import it, so it's about 18euro($25) with shipping. I think it is only about $6-$10 over with you.. Worth every penny!!!

Thanks! I'll have it shipped by next week! Would I need to charge before 1st time use?

Thanks! I'll have it shipped by next week! Would I need to charge before 1st time use?
No just give it a good rinse with cold water first and then it's ready to use..You should notice the difference in a day or so..Let me know what you think of it..

Back
Top Bottom