Closed loop advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tumbleweed

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in progress of setting up my first sw tank and have a couple of questions regarding a closed loop system, plumbed over the top. My tank is a 85 gal. fowlr, Ehiem canister filter (163 gph), Remora skimmer (295 gph), and Quiet One 6000 pump (1506 gph). I'm planning on using 1 return towards bottom center of the tank, and 2 outputs, 1 on each side on top.

-- The pump has 1" in/output, but came with reducers (1/2"). Should I use these, or do I want to keep 1" throughout?

-- What is a good source for parts? I'm looking for a 'U' to use on top, instead of 90's. I can't find 'em at lfs or hardware stores.

-- Is there a certain type of vinyl tubing to use? What kind of psi am I looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Paul

I would keep the 1" unless you find 1/2" easier to plumb. The reduction in PVC will increase the pressure of the water comming out producing more of a stream of water where as the larger plumbing will have a more gentle outlet. We want to have high flow but not nessicarly high intensity.

your best bet might be to make the U's out of elbows either 90's or 45's. The U tubes that you can get for overflows will be clear and you will need to cover these with tape or paint to keep algae from growing inside the tubes. You can use PVC to make the bends up and over the tank and include a bleeder/priming valve at the top of the bend so you can prime the plumbing.

You wont need to worry about high PSI tubing. If you want to use tubing instead of PVC you can use the stuff they sell on roles in the plumbing section at lowes or home depot. Its usually fairly thick and in our useage there isnt much pressure on the walls of the tubing anyway since the outlets are not restricted.

Thanks fishfreek. What would be the best way to make the intake? I want to make sure it's able to pull as much gph as possible. Just a screen at the end of the pipe? Or holes drilled along the pipe, and if so, how many at what diameter?

Thanks,
Paul

The best way to do the intake is to drill the side of the tank and install a bulkhead and then use something like a cone strainer. If you cant drill the tank then you will have to get the water up and over the edge of the tank. This is where the priming plug comes in as you will need to prime the pump and the intake line before the pump will be able to pull the water out of the tank. If you have to do it this way you want to make sure the intake is well below the water level of the tank to keep air from entering into the closed loop and again I would use somehing like a cone striner for the intake.

Back
Top Bottom