Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Just to clairfy I did not build the item I linked to. Some of your wording seemed to make me think you thought I built that. For the size tank your talking about you need to consiter the overall picture. What other pumps and powerheads will you have making flow in your tank. If its going to be minimal than the closed loop pump should be fairly sizable. Mag7 or larger. If your going to have a sump and thus a nice sized return from that already then a smaller Mag3 or Mag5 will do.

On the plumbing end you can get more bang for your buck at the local hardware store in the plumbing isle.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I understand a lot better how it works thanks. I have one return from the sump to the tank. I have corals and judging from people with corals and also manifold closed loop they suggested 6-7 "T's" http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2003/short.htm in this article it states "I’ll suggest 4 to 6 teed outlets per 100 gallons of tank volume, spaced evenly apart, as a starting point." That is what made me say it needed 6-7. I have a 55 gal. as you can see from the photos I have the return from the sump, 2 powerheads on each side, protein skimmer, filter overhang, The pumps pump out 400gph each. I read that it should be 2 per gallon meaning a 90 gal =1800 at least for me about 1100. So I have 800 that is what I am trying to figure out how to make sure I have plenty of flow for my corals. If you check the photo from the site I sent you see how he did the closed loop where it goes in the front of the tank also?

Old 07-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I tried to add a setup similar to what Calfo describes in that article. I just did a small section of the tank though. You will need to run a decent size pump to power all those T's. I have about 700+GPH coming from my return and I added 3 T's on a 3/4" line and the flow from the T's was a lot less than I wanted.

Maybe it was what I perceived but I ended up taking it off. I would love to add a bigger pump but my overflow can't take much more than what I am already giving it.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am looking into live aquaria catalog for pumps. I do not want to hardwire a pump. Like I stated earlier I have 2 802 powerheads on each side of my 55gal. and 1 Maxi-Jet 900 in the middle of the tank. I also have a wet/dry filter with overhang doing the return and a RedSea Protein Skimmer. I think I have an idea how to set this up. Using the diagram shown in the previous page I am assumin there are 2 outlets. I would just have the tubing out further so that I will be able to take the protein skimmer off for neccessary cleaning. I assume that the middle of the T is a cap where I will be adding water to get it started. The tube that enters the tank with the holes what is the best size holes to use not to swallow any fish crabs etc.? Does it matter how deep it is or where it is placed? This takes place of my powerheads but I will still be using the powerhead for my Wet/Dry Filter correct? Any suggestions on size? 55 gal. alot of corals. Thanks
Old 08-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like this setup from http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html he did a great job but what is a good pump easy maintenance for a 55gal. Also what is loc-line?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can anyone help me out with a good pump?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:37 AM   #17
Kam
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Kam
I am in the process of building a manifold on the top of a 120 gal tank (4' x 2' x 2'). I have done a lot of reading on this and had several manifold users review my plan.

I will use a Sequence Dart pump on a shelf behind the tank, so the head will only be 2'. The plumbing to / from the pump will be 1.5". The manifold will drop down to 1" and the outlets for the water will be 3/4". I was told that the general rule is 1 outlet for every 10 gallons. You can then plug some to add pressure or keep all open to reduce pressure. It also alows you more options to manipulate flow.
2 Green Chromis
1 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
1 Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab
1 Large Turbo Snail
Hitchhickers: 3 Purple sea urchins, lots of rock crabs, pistol shrimp, brittle stars, snails, worms, etc.
and aiptasia, aiptasia, aiptasia (it was free $$)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you taken a look on the previous pages of the one that has the 2 outlet ports? which was done for a 30 gal so I guess for my 55 I need more outlets? Take a look on the previous pages and let me know what you think about the plans.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:29 PM   #19
Kam
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Kam
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxnonamexx
Have you taken a look on the previous pages of the one that has the 2 outlet ports? which was done for a 30 gal so I guess for my 55 I need more outlets? Take a look on the previous pages and let me know what you think about the plans.
If I am reading the correct picture, the part in blue is the manifold. The manifold does not need to be a compelte circule to work, so your plan will work fine. If you pump is under powered, the end of the manifold might not have as much/enough pressure.
2 Green Chromis
1 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
1 Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab
1 Large Turbo Snail
Hitchhickers: 3 Purple sea urchins, lots of rock crabs, pistol shrimp, brittle stars, snails, worms, etc.
and aiptasia, aiptasia, aiptasia (it was free $$)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

So the 2 outlets are ok for my corals? What is a good pump to use not hardwired with lil or no maintenance. My PH I have had for 5 years working w/o maintenance and they are still going.

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com