Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Closed Loop Manifold? DIY

I wanted to know what people think about closed loop manifolds. I have an established 55 gal reef tank with 2 powerheads and read about manifolds doing a better job and looking nicer then unsightly powerheads inside Has anyone made one for a all glass tank? No drilling and curious how to get around the overhang from the wet/dry filter and also overhang protein skimmer? Thanks

Old 07-24-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well it took me 20 minutes but this might interest you.

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
i m actually building that same closed loop for my 29. I need some money for the SCWD and the pump. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make some money for a poor 15 year old? My dad has gotten sick and tired of spending money on my tank.
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mow lawns. I've spent the last 5 years as an actual homeowner waiting for some kid to knock on my door asking to mow my lawn. I'm tired of mowing my lawn. I hate my lawn Surely there are others like me that would rather pay a neighborhood kid $20 than pay a lawn service. In the winter, shovel walks and driveways. Make flyers and leave around the neighborhood and at grocery stores. Not only will you make money, you'll make your dad proud that you're willing to work for what you want and he'll be more inclined to lend a hand when you need it.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A JOB comes to mind. Churches often pay for younsters part time labor. It's also a safe and healthy place to work.
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

What a wonderful job well done. 2 things first you stated about maintenance do you feel that you had to do alot of maintenance to it? Also What do you think about the manifold method where it sits on top of the water so you do not see any pipes etc.? Also drsfostersmith carries alot of plumbing supplies that are similar to what you have done to create custom flows. I noticed that with the manifold method you do not need the part that makes it flow in reverse directions. Also what pump would you reccommend for a 55 gal? Manufacturer? Size? The pump goes into the wet/dry filter correct? Thanks alot.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/ Here is my interpretation would this work? Thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 07:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have a return pump diagram not a closed loop. What kind of filter? It will work fine just be sure the filter can keep up with your return pump. That is a lot of returns what size pump are you going to use for 7 returns? I have 7 returns on my closed loop with a 7000GPH pump so it is very possible I am just not sure why you would want that many on a 55 gallon tank.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I am new to this new concept but have seen others diagrams and tried to configure it to work with mine. people stated that I needed 6-7 outlets. How many and where do you prefer I should have them and place them. Also how are the pumps hooked up? Do they go into the wet/dry filter? I already have a PH in the W/D returning the filtered water into the tank? here is what it looks like under my tank. http://flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/
Old 07-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

A closed loop is nothing but a substitution for powerheads. Serves the same purpose but with less tank clutter. If you already have a return pump going from the sump back to the tank I would think two return outlets would be sufficient. As far as pump hookups a closed loop just pulls water from the tank and returns it were you place the returns. You have several options on that. Next thing is to determine how much flow you want. How much flow do your powerheads produce? Is it enough or do you want more? I would recommend some loc-line for your returns so you can control your currents better since you have corals.

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com