Closed loop questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese

Aquarium Advice Activist
To replace the need for submerged powerheads, I'd like to do a closed loop for flow in addition to my return from my sump. The tank is a 75 gallon and is not drilled.

My questions:

Does anyone have a link to a good diy diagram?

Since the tank is not drilled, what type of "outlet" should I make/use? (perferated pvc pipe?)

I have a few submersible pumps, do I need to buy a dry external pump to do this or is there some way I can make use of what I already own?

Any help is appreciated...

Does anyone have a link to a good diy diagram?
Basically it is just a screened input plumbed to the pump, then from the pump outlput you plumb it back to the tank and split off to a few outlets. If you want me to, I will draw a diagram later and send it to you. (do not have time now)
Since the tank is not drilled, what type of "outlet" should I make/use? (perferated pvc pipe?)
If the tank is a glass open top this is not a issue. If it is acrylic I would just drill some holes in the top. Outlets can be PVC etc. Keep in mind you want the outlet so you can move them to control and adjust flow in your tank. Loc-line works great for this.
I have a few submersible pumps, do I need to buy a dry external pump to do this or is there some way I can make use of what I already own?
Any pump will work but if you use a submersible you will not gain anything by removing powerheads because you have the pump, pipes, etc cluttering your tank. You can put the pump in your sump and do extra plumbing which will increase back pressure to eliminate clutter. I prefer a external pump mainly because of water temp issues, but both will work.

Thanks Brian.

I meant to say "intake" instead of "outlet." I get the use of loc-line for the returns. I guess I'm looking for an alternative to a perferated length of white pvc submerged in the main tank and feeding the pump.

You don't need to draw me a diagram but I appreciate the offer. I get the gist of it but was just looking for photos/ideas...

Thanks again...

Well you are in luck because I can help you with that too. I made my closed loop intake out of 2" PVC. I used a table saw to cut slits in it. I spaced the slits saw blade thickness apart. Clamp a board to the pipe so it can not roll so the cuts start and stop the same place on the pipe. I made it 18" long to handle the 8000GPH of flow. My problem was I have several small gobies, eviota, neon etc that would be easily sucked into it. I found some screen that is I think is made for screen porches for cats etc. It is fiberglass dipped in plastic. I cut a 6" piece of the 2" PVC as a guide and used fishing line to tie it together making a sleeve to slide over the intake. I then turned the sleeve wrong side out so the nice finished edge was showing and not all the knots I tied. The screen is black and hides the white PVC plastic perfect. Better yet within 2 months it is covered in purple coralline. The screen also hides the slits. I had to buy the whole role of screen but will give you enough for your intake if you are willing to pay the shipping.

I would too like to see a diagram of this. Im thinking of doing a closed loop too but dont seem to be getting the concept of what happens. All I know is I have 6 PH's in my 100 and ImSO tired of picking them up off the sand because the stupid suckers failed!

I have a diagram on one of my other computers. I will find it and post tomorrow. (unless someone beats me to it.

Very cool! Thanks Brenden. I had a guy try and explain it to me at work and I dont get it. My idea of even eliminating PH's would be just to run more PVC off of your return pump??

Okay. I'm going to build a closed loop that is temporarily run off a submerged pump. At a later date I'll switch the pump out but I figure the heat generated by the extra pump in the sump will be a wash when you consider zero powerheads inside of the main tank.

I found some black flexible pvc at Home Depot (unfortunately no black elbows/T's) that I'm going to run in a full circle tight to the black plastic moulding at the top of the tank. I'll have 6 outlets (white pvc t connections) hooked up to hopefully some adjustable loc-line outlets.

Question: Where can you get loc-line? Anywhere other than online?

Back
Top Bottom