Cloudy fish tank- ran out of ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40gal gold fish tank- with 2 fancy goldfish and 2 small asian algea eaters.

I noticed about a month ago my goldfish tank was getting cloudy and when I do water changes- up to every 2-3 days right now, the water is a cloudy green color.

I went to several lfs and was told:1) you filter is broken-so I bought new filter and it is working well- Wisper 40i- and am almost thinking to put another wisper 40i in it if it would help, 2) that I needed to add have an algea eater in the tank- well I previously had a pluco but it decided my goldfish tasted better, so I got to small asian algae eaters instead and so far they are keeping the algae under control but the water is still green, 3) I was told that its an algae bloom and I need to increase my water changes and it will clear up in a month- well im doing changes ever 2-3 days and its almost been a month and no change, and 3) Lastly, I was told I need to change my florescent light- the lfs said they only last about a year and then as it gets older the light frequency changes or something and it helps build algae in the water.

So, by now I am soo tired and worn out- all my water levels are normal and running stable. If I do an 70% water change the water is pretty clear for a night then gets cloudy over a day or two so Im kinda at my wits end....

can anyone provide some ideas? is it really the light? or is it something else. I really dont want to use more chemicals- I already use a water conditioner, easy balance, aquarium salts, a biochemical or whatever it is.

I had almost the same issue in my 30 gal

funny almost same stock except I have 2 khoulie loaches instead of algae eaters
and a sail fin pleco

I got so fed up I ripped it apart literally

replaced filter with a canister and did away with under gravel filters totally
replaced the gravel and gave tank a good scrub

I also replaced the lighting
so far so good everything is still crystal clear 3 weeks later

I should have done this months ago

A UV sterilizer would help your situation greatly. They make in tank UV units, so you don't have to plumb anything. You can also try not feeding your fish for a few days, and black out the tank for several days. Might work to reduce the algae bloom. You probably have an overload of nitrate, and phosphate, causing the bloom.

Back
Top Bottom