Cloudy glass lid advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
My glass lids are getting very cloudy and are blocking some of the light from getting into the tank. I take them off and wash them with vinegar and hot water, thinking it is some sort of mineral deposit. After the cleaning they look spotless, but two minutes later the cloudiness comes back. Should I try a stronger chemical like windex?

-Thanks

You can use a razor blade to scrape the mineral deposits off, if its not that bad you can use salt to scrub them with. I use kosher salt for this because of the larger grain size, but you can use regular table salt as well. Windex isn't going to do anymore to remove the deposits than the vinegar did.

I have hard water, and the water etched the glass after a year or so, forming a film. I cannot get rid of it, using vinegar, CLR, scrubbing , etc. This happens in our shower door as well, so I think it is just the water.

Eventually, I took mine off, just like mfdrookie.

Like blueiz I also use a razor blade, put the canopy nin the sink and put a fresh razor blade on, I find it makes it very easy to do if you have warm water running on the glass while you are doing it. I turned my alomost white glass canopy back to crystal clear in 10min.

I don't think keeping a lid on a saltwater tank is a good idea. What are your PH levels with the lid on restricting oxygen? Also what is the temp in the summer with the lid trapping in heat? If this is a freshwater tank then just ignore me, I don't know anything about freshwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom