Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
CO2 and Live plants??

Is CO2 really required for live plants if you have plenty of fish in the tank? If so, any good ideas to create CO2 other than an expensive tank system...Help!

john7110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm still kinda new to planted aquariums so hopefully I can help with what I've learned so far. All plants need a source of carbon which plants get from CO2, fish respirtation, and bio decomposing. Wether you need to add CO2 will probably depend on the kind of plants you have or want. Your fish alone probably won't be able to supply enough CO2 because nitrifying bacteria use it, and you lose it through aeration and surface agitation. I dont have expierience with DIY CO2 systems, but a good alternative would to use Seachem Flourish Excel along with Flourish Root Tabs. Flourish Excel is a source of organic carbon (not liquid CO2), and carbon is what plants get from CO2 for photosynthesis. To help keep the CO2 that your fish provide make sure your canister/HOB filters are regularly cleaned of organic buildup and I wouldnt use airstones/bubble wands or anything that would create too much surface agitation.
Daxhua is offline   Reply With Quote

co2, live, live plants, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com