CO2 DIY from ebay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problem.

On the russian aqua boards many use the stuff like this. General consensus that aluminium DIY CO2 is better, because plastic degrade over the time due to citric acid.

I found citric acid on amazon.ca, 24$ 5LB. 5LB is good for 11 charge.

Let us know how it turns out, I remember seeing those kits sold buy a different seller and wondered how well they would work.

So, it works fine.

Just put it once in the water to see if there is any CO2 leaks.
100% compatible with solenoid. I set the pressure to 2psi, and it's stay stable even with solenoid.

Chinese 3$ CO2 Glass Diffuser works very fine (it will take some time to create the pressure) . Fluval one isn't (with 1 bps, with 5-6 bps (bubbles per second) it works fine also).

I'll also ordered chinese glass CO2 atomizer.

I found Citric Acid for 28$ 5kg and soda for 4$ 2kg. So one charge cost something like 1.4$. Thats cheap.

DON'T USE THIS DEVICE!
It always leaks (CO2 leak), pressure jump, needle valve get blocked by acid.
Acid destroy all rubber parts (thats = CO2 leak).

I'll try to use it with sugar+yeast.

Darn… I just ordered something like this last night. :sigh: I hope It works ok. But will it still leak if I use the yeast and sugar recipe? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403438707.018584.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put it in the water to see if there is any leaks. And test it somewhere (not in your tank) to see if there is pressure jump, test it at least 3 days or better 1 week.

By testing it in water do you mean taking the whole system and sticking it in a thing of water to see if any co2 escapes? And what do you mean by pressure jump. I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put whole system in the water, completely. I you see some bubbles, so it's leak.
You know, start only with half of doses for testing, like 100g acid citric with 200ml water and 100g soda with 100ml water. Set the pressure to 1 or 2. Set the bubbles to desired amount (I need 2-3 bubbles/s for 29g via glass diffuser to drop checker become green). And see if the pressure stay at 1 or 2 or it become lower or higher. And see if the bubbles rates didn't change.
Test it for maybe 3-7 days. If OK you can use it. Don't forget to put it in the water every time when you change the ingredients.

I do the same testing right now to see, if the pressure rise due to solenoid.

Back
Top Bottom